My 8 Favourite Places In Atlanta

My 8 Favourite Places In Atlanta

Some places worth visiting close to campus.

145
My 8 Favourite Places In Atlanta
Atlanta Photos

I know people at Georgia Tech who have barely ventured off campus. Without going too far away (e.g., Marietta, Avalon, Stone Mountain), here are some places off-campus and close to the centre of Atlanta really worth visiting.

1. Piedmont Park

Piedmont Park is such a nice, peaceful distraction so close to campus and Midtown. The park can be a good place to just relax, and you can even study or work there since it provides free Wi-Fi.

The north side of the park to the east of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is probably the most green and open space you can find this close to the heart of Atlanta. Definitely worth visiting on a sunny day and trekking through one of its nature trails.

2. Brewhouse Cafe

Brewhouse is Atlanta's most popular British sports pub. Located in Little Five Points, hundreds of people regularly show up to watch English Premier League soccer games. When I first went here for the FA Cup Final in 2015, I saw probably 200 people wearing Arsenal jerseys, cheering on the same team I support. Attending any significant soccer or rugby game here can be pretty fun though, as it's always amusing watching the hardcore fans get so into it.

3. Fox Theatre

I went to the Fox Theatre in January to see "The Book of Mormon." While the musical is pretty damn funny, the venue is awe-inspiring. From the faux blue sky to the rest of its beautiful architecture, the venue is a sight to behold.

4. The Masquerade

This venue was originally constructed as a manufacturing mill around 1890. It was converted to a pizzeria in 1977, and again converted in 1989 to a concert venue. Due to its age, The Masquerade has become an Atlanta historical landmark.

The Masquerade has had thousands upon thousands of shows, hosting bands such as Nirvana, Radiohead and The Offspring. The venue is unique in that it has three stages: Heaven, Hell and Purgatory (as well as space for outdoors concerts). I've had some great experiences and memories here.

5. Terminal West

Terminal West is a relatively new music venue located west of Midtown. I've seen bands here such as New Politics, Imagine Dragons and Magic Man. The venue is fairly intimate, making it easy to see the performance and build a connection with the artists. Attached to the venue is the Station Side restaurant, where you get high quality tacos and other foods.

6. Lenox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza

Lenox Mall is pretty fun to visit. While many of the clothing stores are more high range in price, the mall also has fun stores to browse such as GameStop and an Apple Store. The food court has Chipotle, Five Guys and a California Pizza Kitchen.

Nearby is another fancy mall, Phipps Plaza. I've mostly only gone there for the movie theatre. It has reclining seats, so if you book in advance to get a good seat, it's one of the better movie theatres in Atlanta.

7. Atlantic Station

Atlantic Station is so close to campus, which is convenient when you want to see a movie or if you need to go shopping at Target or Publix. There are several good restaurants, and the sweet store Kilwin's is, of course, a huge guilty pleasure.

It also hosts events all throughout the year, from ice skating to music festivals to outdoor movies.

8. Downtown near Peachtree Center Station

I only rarely venture to downtown, but go near Peachtree Center Station on Labor Day weekend and you will be greeted by 100,000 people. Dragon Con is Atlanta's alternative to ComicCon. You will always see some of the coolest cosplays, famous actors, and have access to entertaining panels, games and raves. But I feel as if the sheer scale of what Dragon Con accomplishes is what's most impressive and worth experiencing. The convention is held basically all over the area—in multiple hotels and conference locations. Downtown is still a fun place to visit during the rest of the year—it has some attractions worth visiting and restaurants worth eating at—but the location seems noticeably lacking without the commotion of Dragon Con.

Conclusion

Of course the place I spend the most time in Atlanta is Georgia Tech, since I'm a student there. In particular, there's a few sights worth visiting, such as the view from between the Biotech Quad and the track field (especially at night), the roof garden on the fifth floor of the CULC, the top floors of various buildings and the top of the State Street parking deck. The Burger Bowl can be really pleasant and peaceful when it's warm outside, and the Campanile is pretty cool. The campus has a lot of green, and you'll find it has a lot of nice locations once you've become accustomed to it.

However, despite Georgia Tech being a relatively photogenic campus and having everything from bowling to Starbucks, Atlanta is definitely a city worth exploring. There are breathtaking views, tasty restaurants, magical concerts and fun conventions just a walk or MARTA ride away.