College Move In Day As Told By 'Parks and Rec' | The Odyssey Online

College Move In Day As Told By 'Parks and Rec'

Not even Leslie Knope is prepared...

34
Flickr

It's the day we've all been waiting for...MOVE IN DAY!

As an athlete at Marist College, I am BLESSED and grateful to be permitted to move in a handful of days before the rest of the student body. Regardless, this day is full of stress, heavy lifting, redecorating, and minor moments that make me think I'm on a new show on the HGTV network.

So here it is, move in day as told by one of my favorite shows: "Parks and Rec."

1. 9:00 a.m: Quick, everyone out!

As truly blessed as I feel to be placed in freshmen dorming for preseason, I have found myself counting the days until I am released from that scathing hot hellhole.

Each team is given a one-hour slot to move out and clear the floor. The housing staff is VERY strict on this one-hour rule, and our two elevators work extremely (horribly) well with the 30 girls moving out in 60 minutes.

2. Everyone try and fit your car in approximately four inches of space

I'm the first to admit: I'm lazy when it comes to move out day. I somehow managed to bring the bare minimum but I would still rather walk four feet as opposed to 40. And don't act like you wouldn't do the same. Not to forget that Marist Security is rushing everyone to get out, so I might have to power walk or even JOG.

3. Now...fight everyone to get your key and panic when they can't find your name on the list in 1.7 seconds.

There is always one person that handles the key exchange; it's the last thing on the list of move out so there are always stragglers from the last group begging for their key.

Also...the list isn't always alphabetical so sometimes it takes said person more than a millisecond to find your name on the list of people. In those moments, thoughts of homelessness and panic cross your mind often.

4. Now...move everything back in!

As relieving as it is to be able to move into your new home for the year, the physical labor that lies ahead is probably what they do in the eighth layer of hell.

Most likely, there aren't nearly enough elevators to move everyone in efficiently...and I am most certainly not taking the stairs...so I will hold three heavy boxes in my hands because I think I'm a young CrossFit athlete on leg day.

5. Decoration!

I must admit that I get progressively lazier as time goes on in the decorating department. Luckily, I am blessed with two creative lil ladies that love to make me feel at home. This is the HGTV part...I might be on "Flip or Flop," I'm really not sure.

6. Sleepover night one!

If you're lucky enough to live with your best friends, every day is a fun sleepover! It's like one never-ending party with your pals, and sometimes you even get your own room!

Regardless, let's hang out and party!

7. Time to live on your own

If you're a freshman, this is your first time living on your own, so it's pretty intimidating. Even if you're an upperclassman, you are now responsible for cooking, cleaning, and fixing up your entire house on your own. This can be a bit terrifying, to say the least...but hey, I made it to junior year, so really anyone can.

So that's it ladies and gents, move in day in a nutshell. Obviously, living with your best friends nine months out of the year is one long party. Yet, there will be some overwhelming, "Do I really have to clean the toilet right now?" moments.

Just remember, nothing is worse than that time your dad suggested taking the stairs to beat the elevator. You might've seen the light and checked your pulse once or twice.

Here's to move in day, people!