5 Things That Happen When Your Mom Is Your Best Friend

My mom is my best friend, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

15
Cheyenne Baker

I never went through the phase of not liking my mom or thinking that it wasn't cool to hang out with her. I'm the oldest of two, so for two years, it was just my mom and I. We'd dress up alike, go on dates, get our nails done together. Anything and everything that was fun I couldn't imagine being done without her.

What annoys me the most is that some don't understand our relationship. Here's just a few things that my friends and those around me don't understand about us.

She calls every day.

Yes, it is a pain. I do get annoyed. But, I am her first born and best friend. (Not to say she doesn't "parent" me) Going from seeing me everyday when I wake up, watching me come in from school, watching me as my head hits the pillow, I can understand just how hard it may be to not seeing any of that process at all on any given day.

She's the first person I call when something big happens.

And by big, I mean, "Mom, hey I just cleaned the bathroom, finished a paper, and I'm about to bake a pie." We would talk all the time when I lived at home. Now that I am away, it gets hard to maintain that connection of exchanging the small details. Most of my friends only call home when they get a good grade or a big accomplishment. Everything is a big accomplishment for me, so it's only natural I call her frequently.

We're complete opposites.

I'm always pretty uptight and stressed, she's light and carefree. She keeps me sane.

These pics prove my point. In the first pic, she pinched my butt while we were trying to take a cute pic. I was so shocked I jumped, knocking my glasses off my face. In the second pic, she looks so innocent and I look like I'm upset over nothing. Oh, Mom.

If you are a close friend of mine, she's most likely talked to you on the phone, knows you by name, and maybe even met you in person.

A part of being someone's best friend, you have to know the other people in that person's life and things that matter to them. A few of my friends she has even claimed as her surrogate children. She wants to know that I'm hanging with a good crew, and for that I will always appreciate her checking out the people I hang out with. Besides, when someone isn't a true friend, she can usually spot that trait immediately and I get to see them cause drama in someone else's life because I've stopped talking to them.

I listen to what she has to say.

When my mom tells me that someone is bad news, I distance myself from that relationship. Eventually, the traits she saw surface in another situation. She's usually right about people and things. I don't always do what she suggests, but her advice is golden. I can trust her and I know that her intentions are always pure. For those reasons alone, I choose to listen to her advice.

Our relationship isn't perfect. That's ok- we're not perfect people. We try our hardest to be considerate of each other and make sure that our hearts are well taken care of. The ying to my yang, peanut butter to my jelly, the crazy to my sane. I wouldn't have it any other way <3.