Why Minor League Baseball Should Matter To You | The Odyssey Online

Why Minor League Baseball Should Matter To You

It's a great group of players supported by a great group of fans!

36
Jade Campbell

After spending the last three months working for a minor league baseball team in southwest Virginia, I've come to realize a few things about the organization.

One of the best things about the minor leagues is the close-knit community that surrounds each team. Fans come out to every single game night and cheer on the team no matter what the score is. Additionally, these fans stick by the organization that's a part of their community. Minor league teams can change where they are located at a moment's notice when the season ends, but the fans in the community always support whichever new team comes in.

Many minor league programs also have an "adopt a player" program, where families in the community can bring meals for players to get them acquainted with the area and to make sure they feel welcomed! This helps the team to feel like more than just players who are only there for game days. Granted, a lot of the time, teams travel to play ball, so there isn't a lot of extra time for the players to hang out in the area.

Various minor league organizations also cater to an older audience. This depends on where the teams are located. The games definitely offer a more relaxed atmosphere compared to a major league event, where a lot of the time fans are a little more intoxicated than they should be (not saying that MiLB doesn't still sometimes have their own intoxicated fans). Many promotions cater to the older audience or to a younger crowd, which is good for families who want to go enjoy an evening out at the ballpark.

One thing that is great about going to the games is that, most of the time, the organizations are a starting place for players, so they are always trying to move up. Therefore, the players are always trying to do better than the day before and better than the guy next to them. Every night, there is a new scout out at the park looking at players. Each player comes out every night giving 110 percent because they dream of making the big leagues one day. It's an exciting time when a player gets called up to a bigger class to show off their skills. The players also have a great attitude during the season. They are always serious during games and batting practice, but they joke around with each other most of the time and always make everyone feel welcome.

Each of the coaches have played at a higher level, so it gives the players a chance to work and learn from someone who has been in their shoes. This way, it's a better institution for both the players and the coaches because each coach knows what each player is going through in the minor leagues.

Even through all the instruction and seriousness of the sport and organizations, the players learn to have more respect and love for the game of baseball, and the community gets to welcome a great group of players every season.