Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory: The Final Days of Masquerade Atlanta's Music Venture | The Odyssey Online

Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory: The Final Days of Masquerade Atlanta's Music Venture

Historic Music Venue To Become Apartment Complex

19
AXS.com

To the average passerby, it might look like a gritty and borderline dilapidated building with a weathered neon sign that reads, "The Masquerade," but to a music lover, this is home. It is a venue that has always been a little rough around the edges, but completely owns its unkempt facade and eroding castle like interior. For thousands of Atlanta concert goers, this venue is absolutely one of a kind, and a big part of Atlanta's music scene.There is a certain sense of intimacy and energy that does not exist anywhere else but here. It has brought many big names in punk, metal, EDM, and rap that you would not hear at any other venue for as much of a bargain at any other venue. The three stages dubbed "heaven, hell, and purgatory," respectively have been graced by many now superstars such as Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, and the Smashing Pumpkins.

The Masquerade itself has stood the test of time and wear when the city around it has embraced newness and the contemporary. Right in the middle of Old Fourth Ward, The Masquerade is but a relic of the past surrounded by newly constructed luxury apartments and the Ponce City Market.

The building itself has been around since around 1890 where it began as an Excelsior Mill and restaurant. It has since shifted operations from a restaurant, to night club, to music venue. In 2004, the site itself was sold to a developer who had intended to tear down the structure and replace it with more apartments, but after many months of neighborhood protests and efforts by the Atlanta Preservation Center to raise awareness of its historical value, and a deal was struck and the property was saved. Having had historical value, the building carried on in a town that had long since forgotten the 1890s, a town that had long since moved on and become gentrified and contemporary.

After years of rumors however, in October of 2015, land was confirmed to be bought along the Beltline for 3.3 Million dollars by developer SWH Residential Partners LLC which included the land of the Masquerade, and that plans were underway to transform the property into a mixed-use apartment complex. Shows continue until the end of the year so it is unclear when the changes will take place.

What's certain is that this is very heartbreaking news to those who grew up attending shows at the Masquerade.Following an out pour of support and concern over the Masquerade an official statement was released on their website regarding the future of the venue stating "For those concerned about The Masquerade leaving Atlanta, rest assured, we aren't. We will release specifics as soon as we can. We are continuing with our booking through 2016 and all shows are going forward." For many this is huge loss in the Atlanta music scene, and although a new site may be established, it will be hard to replace the charm of the old Masquerade any time soon.