Why Can't We Accept 'Whiteness History Month'?

The problem with race and discrimination is socially constructed by no one other than ourselves.

13

OK, so I’m not one to write about politics, or race, or education, or whatever has to do with debating issues and topics like this. In all honesty, I try to dumb myself down and avoid all of the knowledge and issues that accompany these topics because in the end, everyone has their own opinions, and I don’t believe screaming and trying to argue that one's belief is better than someone else’s does anyone any good. But this caught my attention. It's worth the talk.

Everyone knows that February is Black History Month -- we all celebrate it every year. It's the time we have the opportunity to honor the accomplishments black Americans have made throughout history. It is a great way to applaud and remember those of our past.

In Oregon, Portland Community College (PCC) created an event called “Whiteness History Month” that will take place every April. This is stirring up major controversy on racial and discriminatory levels. But why? The 90,000 students enrolled at PCC are constructing this project to study what “whiteness” truly means, its origins as a social construct, and its impact on society as a whole.

Whiteness History Month is not like other heritage months where we celebrate those of our past. It is merely a project to challenge race and racism while forming solutions to these social problems. College students tend to have a one-track mind and predispositions to what they already think about race. Since so many colleges worldwide struggle to encourage diversity and racial equality, PCC decided to take a stand.

The project is focused on providing students with information on our equality and how social misconceptions on race should not define us. PCC plans to have students come up with ways to change the campus’ attitudes toward race and discrimination. They aren’t just singling out races; they are incorporating every race and spreading the word on the importance of our differences and similarities.

It is outrageous to me to find out that people over social media are feeling discomfort and forming unnecessary conflict around this project by shaming white people and saying that the plan to have such a project celebration is just another way to take the spotlight away from Black History Month.

I'm going to present it the way I see it, and a warning right now -- I don’t care if I offend anyone. This is my opinion.

Let's cut the crap. I'm over the entire race thing. I'm sick and tired of hearing black people target white people. White people target black people. Skin tones attacking other skin tones. Everyone seems to think that there is some “huge biological difference” that sets us apart from one another, when in reality, the problem with race and discrimination is socially constructed by no one other than ourselves. The people who aim to speak up wanting to end racism and put an end to discrimination are also the same people participating in it. It's as simple as saying “S/he is trying to be black,” or “S/he sounds so white.”

It’s all bullsh*t. You want a change? Stop the color-shaming. The pigmentation of our skin is literally the tiniest thing in the world to worry about, yet we blow it up into a huge worldwide issue. Saying that this color person was treated differently than that color person -- blah blah blah. We hear it all the time.

In my eyes, I don’t care if you're black, blue, green, purple, or orange, or whatever. You’re a person, just like me, and I can't change anything if we get treated differently. It happens. No one gets treated the same, and half the time when we get treated a certain way, we aren’t satisfied!

So there really shouldn’t be a problem having a Whiteness History Month. It’s not like it’s a cult shaming any other skin tone. If we can celebrate people of our past for a whole month, why is it not right to discuss an origin of a different race? Just because it’s called “whiteness?”

Let’s get over the whole color shaming once and for all people. If we can have a Black History Month, we can have a Whiteness History Month. There are are bigger things in life to worry about than fixating on skin tones that are going to keep reproducing, regardless of argument.