8 Things I Love About Nutley

8 Things I Love About Nutley

If you're from Nutley, you'll definitely agree.

93
8 Things I Love About Nutley
nutleynj.com

Nutley: the town that everybody hates to love. I feel like all of my life I was counting down the years, months, weeks, and days until I finally got to break out of the little town I call home. But, as soon as I left, I began to realize that even though I was happy to be away, there are some things that Nutley has to offer that cannot be topped.

1. PIZZA

For a town that is very well known for being mostly Italian, obviously, the pizza is something that can't be replaced. I even find myself at college bragging about how good the pizza, and the Italian food in general, is back at home. "We have this place where they put penne vodka ON the actual pizza", "The chicken parm from this one place down the street from my house is AMAZING," and, "Do you think Rocky's will deliver all the way over here?" are all things that have been said way too often. You won't find a better pizza spot anywhere else.

2. New York City

One of the many perks of being part of northern New Jersey is how close you are to the city. Going to a school as diverse as Seton Hall, you meet kids from all over the country, and even all over the world. Some become so excited for you when you tell them how close you are to NYC. And of course, it's extremely convenient for us natives. It is such a huge privilege that I will never take for granted.

3. Parades

As being a former marching band member, I really felt like Nutley had a parade for everything. Memorial Day, St. Patrick's Day (where everyone is suddenly Irish) and Columbus Day...there's a celebration for almost anything. But, one thing is for sure - the whole town will show up and enjoy it. Nothing compares to the town-wide celebrations.

4. Festivals

There's also many festivals or block parties that happen every so often. The Italian festival is one of the biggest events of the year that everyone cannot wait for. But there's so much more to name as well...we are just in constant party mode if you think about it.

5. The Tree Lighting

Okay, I know Seton Hall has a tree lighting ceremony, too. But there's something so beautiful about Nutley's ceremony. There are free chestnuts, literally roasting on an open fire. There is a horse and carriage taking people around the oval, to see all angles of the soon to be lit tree. There is popcorn and other snacks being sold by Friends of Nutley Singers. The high school brass ensemble is playing your favorite Christmas carols. The choral groups, ranging from all ages, are putting on a great show indoors. There's a little train that is traveling with giddy children. The "petting zoo" that features a donkey or two. NHS TV is asking questions to anyone they see. Everyone and their mom is there, and every time you take five steps, someone stops you to say hello. When you come back to see it, you truly remember what a real, tight-knit community looks like. It's wonderful.

6. The Music Program

Okay, maybe it's because I was a music kid that exanplains why I brag so much about the music program, but the things the kids are able to do cannot be said by many other people. The groups are invited to perform at Carnegie Hall every year. The choirs marched in Washington D.C.'s memorial day parade and performed on national TV. The band went to the Superbowl, performed at Devils hockey games, won $10,000, etc. Kids are performing in highly competitive and recognizable groups and productions. The musicals and school plays are FANTASTIC. Both the bands and choirs have traveled all over the world. And not to mention, the talent that you find here is something indescribable. There must be something in the water.

7. Relay for Life

Probably one of my favorite events I've ever participated in while being here in Nutley. From making mocktails, painting faces, s'mores, the tears, the laughter - it truly is a beautiful event. Not to mention Nutley has raised $1,000,000+ for the fight against cancer! No other town fights like Nutley for more birthdays.

8. The Community

Nutley is the ultimate community. It's small enough to where everyone knows a good chunk of people. The people at the register of your favorite food place know you, your dry cleaning lady always takes off five dollars when she sees you - even the Starbucks baristas know your order by heart. And, when someone needs help, you better believe people are coming from every direction to help you out. I know I have experienced that first hand. When in doubt, the people are going to be there for you no matter what.

There's so much more that can be added to this list. But one thing is for sure - everything comes back to the little town called Nutley, the one and only place I can truly call home.