A Look Back: The Nutter Legacy

A Look Back: The Nutter Legacy

See you around Nutter Butter

46
A Look Back: The Nutter Legacy
Philadelphia Style Mag

Jim Kenney (left) and Michael Nutter (right)

Four days into January is not just the start of the new year but also the start of a new mayor for Philadelphia. January 4th, 2016, will mark the first day for Mayor Jim Kenney. Now former mayor Michael Nutter believes Jim Kenney will do great things for the city. Mayor Jim Kenney has a long road ahead of him and has many ambitious plans for the city, building on what Nutter has left behind. As a chapter in Philadelphia politics closes and another begins, let's examine the eight years of the Nutter administration.

Ethics

In the past, city hall has been riddled with corruption, cronyism, and scandals most notably in former mayor John Street's administration. Public trust in the local government was very low when Michael Nutter took over but regained much of it by the end of his term. Many cite it as his biggest accomplishment as mayor and called his administration much more transparent and incorruptible. He oversaw the creation of a Chief Integrity Office and expansion of the Inspector General Office, tightening of campaign finance laws, releasing of data to the public which elaborated how the city government operated, and the establishment of Philly 311 for people to call and receive help with city services. It has been a long while since a member of the City Council or person in the Nutter administration been indicted on a charge related to corruption that plagued John Street's. Nutter had indeed delivered on his promise of a more transparent city government earning him praise from his supporters, critics, and even state Republicans for bringing honesty and trustworthiness back in the mayor's office.

Economy

Much like President Obama when he first took office, a young Mayor Nutter had a huge problem on his plate: the recession. The city's budget had a $100 million deficit and was in danger of financing most of Nutter's new plans. One of Nutter's first economic proposals was to shrink the city's budget and looked to close 11 public library branches. He did not succeed (see Opposition) but instead cut positions and budgets which today he regrets and tried to correct that. Among his other policies, he cut his own salary along with his cabinet, raised taxes, rejected paid sick leave, expanded green jobs, and attracted tech startups to center city. Nutter has made some pro-business decisions explaining that job creation is a priority as demonstrated with the now lower unemployment rates. Through these efforts, the city has experienced budget surpluses and a better credit rating but still leaves pensions underfunded and high poverty rates.

Education

Despite leaving behind an underfunded school district, Nutter had succeeded in raising money for it. According to his estimates, around $400 million had been raised through local taxes. As mayor, he did not have that much control over the school district. Nutter has publicly supported disbanding the SRC. The state still has to come up with a budget that funds the school district or will face greater threat of closure. High school graduation rates had still risen and dropout rates fell under his tenure. His Office of Education aimed new ways to help students go to college and helped improve college graduation rates.

Protesting further budget cuts to the School District of Philadelphia

Crime

In late 2007, then Mayor Elect Michael Nutter nominated a new police commissioner, the retired Charles Ramsey. Together, they employed many policies to increase policing including more officers patrolling on foot and bikes, increased stop and frisk, and camera surveillance. Ramsey also increased the requirements to become an officer and required new officers take a program on the history of police brutality. Despite criticisms to his use of stop and frisk, Ramsey insisted a need for a closer relationship between the police and the community. Following a report by the U.S. Department of Justice that indicated many problems within the Philadelphia Police Department, Ramsey instituted many of the recommendations made by the DoJ with a 90% progress report within the year. Nutter had also decriminalized marijuana, sharply decreasing citations for possession of the drug. Overall, crime had fell when Nutter and Ramsey took office with homicides falling by 30%.

Ramsey (left) is set to retire as Philadelphia's police commissioner on Jan. 7th, 2016

City Development

Philadelphia has undergone many changes with construction projects taking place across the city. Projects such as the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center, discounts from Comcast for low-income families, burying the I-95 and connecting Penn's Landing, a boardwalk on the Schuylkill River, the installation of Indego bikes and bike lanes, more space for the Summit at Drexel University, and revitalizing Dilworth Park are among the many deals Nutter had reached as mayor. Many jobs have been created, the city has more open public spaces and access, and this also indicates Philadelphia is attracting businesses. The city has experienced an increase in population, mostly young people, to start up their own company and revitalize Philadelphia's financial districts.

The new Comcast building, open in 2017, will be the tallest building outside New York and Chicago in the U.S.

Status

With the spur of population and business, Philadelphia has secured its place on the national and international spotlight. Mayor Nutter has let Philadelphia host the Made in America concert, Pope Francis and the World Meeting of Families, and the Democratic National Convention. Philadelphia has been designated as a World Heritage City, the first in the U.S., and a sanctuary city (for now). Thus, Nutter had made Philadelphia a more hospitable place for tourism and business.

Michael Nutter and Jay-Z announcing Philly to host Made in America

Opposition

Like any political office, Mayor Nutter had a fair share of fights. He had a mixed relationship with the City Council and that prevented him to cut funding for public libraries and his wanting to sell PGW to help improve the pension fund. His pro-business policies earned him some ire from unions. Residents complained that he often worked to improve Center City and not the neighborhoods. Many of his critics and supporters have said that he stuck to policy and was not in favor of cutting political deals. Thus, explaining his low approval ratings.

Moving on

After eight years of the Nutter administration, there are mixed opinions about him. However, many can say that the city is in a better shape than it was before he took office. There are still a lot of problems the city has to overcome but Mayor Nutter had left a good place for Mayor Kenney to start from. Between his rapping on stage, honest nature when dealing with tragedy, and calling Donald Trump an a**hole on tv, Nutter wanted nothing but the best for his city and had striven to achieve it. Now Mayor Jim Kenney will hold down Philadelphia while Nutter will take some time for himself, resting a bit from eight years as mayor and a long 22 years of public service.