5 Ways To Put A Little Positivity Into Your Life

A list of things that could cheer people up, give a couple of laughs, or just something that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

56
Unsplash

Recently I’ve noticed a lot of negativity in the news (more than usual anyway) and it made me pretty sad just reading through the stories. I felt like other people might be in a similar situation as well. Because of this, I’ve decided to compile a list of things that could cheer people up, give a couple of laughs, and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. I think everybody could use a couple of smiles here and there, especially on a bad day. So without further ado, I present to you my cheesy simple list of things to put a little positivity into your day.

1. Checking out the site "Life is Good"

For those of you who’ve never heard of this website, Life is Good is an adorable media platform that focuses primarily on delivering positive personal stories from individuals across the United States. They created their platform in hopes to combat negative media and bring positivity into people’s lives.

They’re a great way for you to see all the great things happening across the nation as well as an opportunity for you to share your story. They have a tab labeled "Hub of Optimism" where they have stories broken down into three categories: "Good Stories," "Good Vibes," and "Good Times." Good Stories shares experiences of real people and their own journey. Good Vibes is designed to bring positivity to each person. Finally, Good Times provides you with different opportunities to get involved so you can not only get exposed to positivity but also pass it on to others who may need it.

2. Attend a fun, Facebook event

There are tons of fun events happening all the time across the country. It’s a great way to have fun, unite with others for a common cause, or just to get some food because food is always good. For any of you out there searching for some good laughs and memories, this is a great option. Here are just some of the many events happening as well as links for more information:

1. Screaming Soiled It @ Trump Tower: “SOILED IT”

2. The 'I Love Chocolate' Fest: “The Chocolate Fest is even bigger this year, with more indoor exhibits, more outdoor exhibits, an additional day of chocolatey fun, Live Music, and lots of Live Entertainment. Over 50 Chocolate exhibits hosted by fellow Long Islanders, plus, another 50 local exhibits with North Fork wines, New York cheese, breads, artisanal foods, handmade crafts, and gifts created by some of Long Island's most talented artists. Live music performed by local bands.”

3. Fall Food Truck Fest : “The NYC Food Trucks are returning on Saturday, October 21 from 11AM to 4PM. Enjoy gourmet foodie treats from a variety of New York's best food trucks serving everything from shrimp, fried mac & cheese balls, deli delights, and Italian pastries!” (https://www.facebook.com/events/945181468952864)

4. Night of 1,000 Jack O'Lanterns - NYC : “New York City's newest and most anticipated event, Night of 1,000 Jack O'Lanterns is ready to light up New York Harbor this October! Come see more than 1,000 illuminated jack o'lanterns carved by artists from around the tri-state area and staged along a festive, paved, tree-lined pathway among the backdrop of centuries old buildings in the heart of the Big Pumpkin, er, Big Apple, that is!”

5. 4th Annual Doggone Halloween Costume Parade: “The 4th Annual Doggone Halloween Costume Parade sponsored by the Downtown Boston BID is going to be a gggrrrrreaat time for canines and humans! The parade is on Friday, October 27th from noon to 2 pm.”

6. Harry Potter Festival: “The annual blockbuster festival takes over this charming town for spellbinding events that magically morphs the neighborhood into the much loved fictional world created by author J.K.Rowling.”

7. Nightmare Before Christmas Dance Party: “What's this? What's this!? A dance party to celebrate Halloween's unholy invasion of Christmas from your favorite jolly ghouls at Riot Nerd. Creepy carols spun by DJ extraordinaire Wassup Gina, deathly decorations and dastardly drink specials, and of course costumes both naughty and nice are more than welcome. We think it's plain to see, it's simply meant to be.”

3. Hug a plushie

If you’ve read a recent previous article of mine, you’ll know why plushies can really be the ultimate companion. They’re a great source of warm soft hugs and comfort and if any of you out there are lacking in decent plushies, Otaku Mode is a website that sells really cute plushies that I highly recommend people invest in. If you have any spare cash, don’t save it for your college tuition, invest in a really cute plushie and trust me you won’t regret it.

You know, at least until after you graduate.

4. Eat Sour Patch Kids

This one is pretty self-explanatory: it’s candy, it’s sour, it’s sweet, it’s Sour Patch Kids, get some.

5. Rewatch movies/TV shows from your childhood

If Disney movies weren’t a big part of your childhood, then I’m not sure where you’ve been, but it’s never too late to start. Pick up some old movies that make up a large chunk of your childhood or rewatch old shows that just bring waves of nostalgia while eating a pack of Sour Patches. If any of you just can’t seem to remember any tv shows from your childhood to rewatch, you’re in luck! Here are a few shows and movies that I can think of:

TV Shows: "Danny Phantom," "Fairy Odd Parents," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (not the new series), "Sonic X," "Pokemon," "Avatar the Last Airbender," "Cyberchase," "Kim Possible," "Dexter’s Laboratory," "Spongebob Squarepants," "My Life as Teenage Robot," "Clifford the Big Red Dog," "PowerPuff Girls," "Courage the Cowardly Dog," "YuGiOh," "Iron Man Armored Adventures," and "Rugrats".

And you bet you’re going to sing all the theme songs on repeat.

Movies: Ghibli movies ("Princess Mononoke," "Spirited Away," "My Neighbor Totoro," "Kiki’s Delivery Service," "Castle in the Sky," "Howl’s Moving Castle," "Tales of Earthsea," etc.), Pokemon movies (specifically the first one, you’ll need tissues for this) "High School Musical 1/2/3," "The Lion King," "Toy Story," "Space Jam" (for the memes mostly), "The Nightmare Before Christmas," "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin," "Cinderella," "Sleeping Beauty," "The Little Mermaid," "Mulan," "Pocahontas," all of the "Star Wars" movies, "Back To The Future," and "The Incredibles."