Life Of A Female Sports Fan | The Odyssey Online

Life Of A Female Sports Fan

We know what a touchback is, okay?

63
Life Of A Female Sports Fan
My own photo

When it comes to being a female sports fan, many women would say that it isn't the easiest reputation to have. People continuously think that you're doing it for attention, when you genuinely just want to share your interest in a rookie your team just pulled up from the minors. While occasionally it does have its perks, here are a few ideas that all female fanatics understand.

Pink jerseys should be outlawed.

Okay, the pink jerseys with rhinestones and glitter on them have got to go. When you spend a lot of money to attend your team's game, wouldn't you want to represent your team's corresponding colors? I love the Breast Cancer Awareness games where pink is the theme, but if you aren't helping out a worthy cause, then the pink jersey can stay at home.

Wins and losses can be emotional.

Since starting off as little girls in a sparkly baseball caps, we have all had our fair share of unbelievable wins and truly painful losses. We really care about the game, so if that means we shed a tear at the end of a nail biter, it doesn't mean that we don't understand why our team lost. Sometimes it's a way we express our compassion for the game.

We don't like sports to gain attention from men.

This is a pet peeve for most female sports fans. Do people think that I just watch the games, buy the overpriced merchandise, read related articles, and keep up with players' stats just to please my boyfriend? Hell no. What others need to understand is that we love sports just as much as any man does, and we do it for our own enjoyment.

We hate it when other women only like sports to gain attention from men.

Us female sports fans can normally always tell when another girl isn't a true fan. Sure, she will wear the jersey and sport the team's knit beanie, so anyone would believe that she keeps up with the team. But when you start asking her about who you think they will pick up in the draft, trade deadlines, and salary caps, she will let you down. It is really disappointing for us girls because it is comforting when you find another female sports fan to talk sports with. For those of you faking it, just drop the act, please.

Being able to talk sports with your significant other.

One thing that my boyfriend and I have in common is our love for sports. I am a sports marketing intern for our university and he is an athletic training student, so being able to share our similar passion continuously helps our relationship grow stronger. Plus, we always have something to talk about, and he never has to beg me to watch ESPN (let's be honest, I always want to).

We don't watch the games purely for the eye candy.

I will admit that tight baseball pants and sleeveless basketball jerseys are not the worst things to stare at for hours on end, but that is not why we watch and attend sporting events.

Our fantasy teams and brackets are a force to be reckoned with.

Guys think that they'll start a fantasy team and invite their girlfriends, and then think that they are set to win the league. Well, think again, boys. Even though some bracket wins and fantasy player points can be based on pure luck (or bad luck), we still know what we are doing. We may ask your opinion when someone else offers a trade in the league, but don't discount us.

We have grown up cheering for our team(s).

Some believe that we just jumped on the sports bandwagon the moment we hit high school, but many of us have grown up a fan because our family members were fans and we were bred into it on the day we were born. We never liked sports because it was "cool"; we are passionate and love our teams because we consider ourselves an extension of the organization (which we rightfully are).

We don't like to be quizzed.

When we are watching a game with the guys, and all of the sudden we are asked random unrelated questions (like, who won the Stanley Cup in 2010), our mood is instantly killed. We know what you're doing, and we never want to feel like we have to prove our loyalty to our beloved sports team. It is very insulting. P.s. It was the Chicago Blackhawks, by the way.

Overall, being a female sports fan obviously has its challenges, but we wouldn't change a thing. We will proudly support our team(s) through every championship win and every disappointing draft pick.