Life Doesn't Always Go As Planned | The Odyssey Online

Life Doesn't Always Go As Planned

While my life may not be going as I planned, it is blossoming into what it should be.

45
Life Doesn't Always Go As Planned

Writing Down the Story of My Life

If you were to ask me this time last year how the next ten years of my life would go, it would sound something like this: I would be accepted into my dream college and stay there all four years. Afterwards, I would travel around the world on an unlimited budget, tasting all kinds of fabulous international cuisine and experiencing different cultures while learning six languages and writing for a travel blog. I would sow my wild oats and then come back to the states to start my own theatre program at a downtrodden high school, and build it up to be a nationally ranked troupe. I would be married with kids and live a Pinterest worthy life in my cute little white house.

If you were to ask me today how I think the next ten years of my life will go, I would have a simple and short answer. I have absolutely no idea. If there is one thing I have learned in the past year it is that life never goes as planned. Not only have I transferred from a division one research university to a small private women's college and moved back home, but I have been conflicted on what my major life goals are, where I want to achieve them, and by when. While this may seem very stressful and unnerving, I have learned that I am only going to truly enjoy my life if I just do my best to live it and not to plan it.

Most of my plans that I thought were grand in March of last year have completely changed into new beings. I have learned that there is nothing wrong with change. Life is full of twists and turns, and you have to be willing to roll with the punches. What good story ever started out perfectly and just stayed that way all the way until the end? You need the good times and bad ones to find out where you belong and what makes you happy. While my life may not be going as I planned, it is blossoming into what it should be. I am so much happier at my new school, and I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me next.