A Liberal Christian's View On Abortion

A Liberal Christian's View On Abortion

521
A Liberal Christian's View On Abortion
Naturopathic by Nature

The issue of abortion is an issue that has become well-known in the past few years. It is constantly talked about in the media and it is something that a lot of candidates for the Presidency are running on. When talking about abortion, there seem to be two sides one can take: pro-life or pro-choice. Pro-life means that you view an unborn fetus, no matter how old, as a human being and thus abortion occurs along the same concept as murder. Pro-choice means that you think the mother should have her own choice in the argument of whether or not she should get an abortion.

I’m not sure if I really fully agree with either of these opinions. I think they both have flaws in their arguments. I grew up with a Christian background, so I don’t think having an abortion is the best decision. A lot of people say, “If you didn’t want to have a baby, then you should have been more careful.” While this is a little harsh, I do agree with this statement. Having a baby is a big decision and one that you need to make sure you are mature enough to handle when you make that decision. I don’t think a baby should be a “mistake” that you can easily just wipe away. I think that if you aren’t ready to take care of a baby, then you should be extremely careful and pro-active in making sure that doesn’t happen.

However, just because I think like that does not mean my views should constitute what is legal and what isn’t. Yes, the majority of the United States does hold Christian beliefs but that shouldn’t dictate what a woman does with her body. Just because I don’t believe in it, doesn’t mean you can’t do it. I think abortion should be legal because it’s the woman’s right to choose to do whatever she wants to her body, no matter the circumstance. If she made a mistake and wasn’t as careful as she should have been, then so what. This may be hard for some to hear, but I would rather her get an abortion than not be able to fully provide for her child. If a woman became pregnant by an instance of rape, I would be in full support of her decision to get an abortion. I know that I for one would not want to live with that reminder, so I would never expect another woman to either. If either the mother or child was in serious danger of losing their lives, I would be in full support of her decision to get an abortion.

How can I ask a woman, a potential mother, to give her life up for a child she will never know or will never have a mother to love? And if in any of these three scenarios any of these women chose to not have an abortion and carry on through the pregnancy, then I would be in full support of that too. Because it’s not my body. I don’t get a say in what another woman does to herself because it’s not my situation to deal with. I think having an abortion should be legal because how do you expect a woman to raise a child when she can’t even make her own decisions regarding her own body?