The Legacies Of 10 Famous People Who Passed Away In 2016

These famous people from different genres all impacted Americans

4651

2016 was a year filled with many ups-and-downs, including the loss of some outstanding individuals and stars from different disciplines. From musicians to journalists, sports figures, and authors, many famous people passed away this year, leaving touching memories among many generations as well as big shoes for new talents to fill. Here are 10 famous people who left lasting legacies after they passed away this year.

1. David Bowie

"I wish myself to be a prop, if anything, for my songs. I want to be the vehicle for my songs. I would like to colour the material with as much visual expression as is necessary for that song."

David Bowie was quite unique with his wild costumes, but his music was also unconventional with the musical personas he created, such as Major Tom in "Space Oddity" and Ziggy Stardust. He was known as a "pop chameleon" due to his ability to shift from several identities. The album covers were just as odd as the characters themselves. It is not surprising that the took a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because his music literally came to life and told a story through sound and film. At the tail end of his career, Bowie recorded a song for the musical "Lazarus" and finished one final album, "Blackstar," before his death.

2. Prince

The key to longevity is to learn every aspect of music that you can.

How could we forget Prince? — his hair and wardrobe were certainly iconic, but his musical talents also revolutionized rock. He won several Grammy Awards, recorded many top hits as a musician and songwriter, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. Prince also received several nicknames, including The Prince of Funk, and was famous for controversial songs that shook the music industry and did not fit into any particular genre. Although he was originally a solo artist, Prince led a band called The Revolution.

3. Christina Grimmie

Confidence is not 'they will like me'. Confidence instead is 'I'll be fine if they don't'.

Older generations may have never heard of Christina Grimmie, but she inspired many hidden talents to achieve their dreams. Grimmie started her singing career as a YouTube artist (zeldaxlove64) who created her own arrangements of popular songs on an electric keyboard and recorded songs using her own personal equipment. Her love for The Legend of Zelda games also resonated with video game fans around the world. Her fame skyrocketed after her incredible audition for season six of the popular singing show, The Voice, and she maintained a steady career after her time on the show. Grimmie's life ended early at only 22 years old after she was shot during a concert in Orlando, Fla.

4. George Martin

"When you extend life span, that's really something. That's hard to do. "

George Martin produced many of The Beatles albums, starting from their first record contract in 1962. He even accompanied the band on piano for a few songs, such as "In My Life." The band loved him valued his commitment so much that Paul McCartney called him "the fifth Beatle."

5. Arnold Palmer

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented. "

Arnold Palmer was famous for several things. He maintained a highly successful golfing career for over six decades and gained 92 victories, made $6,924,319 total competitive earnings, was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame, earned 62 PGA titles, and received several other sports and general awards. He was also highly successful academically and held nine honorary doctorates, each from different colleges.

Outside of sports, he was a skilled businessman and led his own company, Arnold Palmer enterprises, in addition to creating a charity called Arnie's Army, owning a car dealership, and a couple country clubs among a list of other accomplishments. There is even a gold invitational and airport named after him. His legacy is so great that President George W. Bush gave him the Medal of Freedom and Congress gave him the Congressional Gold Medal. You know that iced tea and lemonade combo? He made that famous too.

6. Joe Garagiola

"Baseball is drama with an endless run and an ever-changing cast. "

He played baseball for nine years with The Cardinals, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Chicago Cubs, but realized he had more talent in another area — sports broadcasting — and spent 57 years in the industry. He first started as a radio announcer and TV analyst for the Cardinals, then worked for NBC, the California Angels, and the Arizona Diamondbacks. His contributions to sports broadcasting earned him the Ford Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame. He even spent a little time outside of sports as a Today Show co-host, a Tonight Show host, and the Westminster dog show commentator.

Gargiola also helped found the Baseball Assistance Team, campaigned against smokeless tobacco with the National Spit Tobacco Education Program, received the 1998 Children's MVP award from the Jim Eisenreich Foundation.

7. Harper Lee

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. "

Most people are familiar with Lee's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, "To Kill a Mockingbird," from their high school English classes. The book's focus on racial prejudice in the south opened many eyes and its well-developed characters are both easy to relate to, yet hard to forget.She later penned a prequel to the popular book in 2015, "Go Set a Watchman," which follows the characters' adult lives. In addition, she collaborated with Truman Capote to write an article for The New Yorker that eventually became the nonfiction novel, "In Cold Blood." She also earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom and National Medal of the Arts

8. Nancy Reagan

"You learn something out of everything, and you come to realize more than ever that we're all here for a certain space of time, and, and then it's going to be over, and you better make this count."

She was a famous actress, the first lady, and an advocate for drug awareness in her "Just Say No" campaign. People also knew Reagan for her fashion style,and the way she cared for her husband, former President Ronald Reagan, as he battled Alzheimer's Disease. During her lifetime, she established the Ronald and Nancy Reagan Research Institute in Chiago that raised awareness for Alzheimer's Disease and embryonic stem cell research.

9. Gwen Ifill

"Hope springs eternal, even in politics. "

Gwen Ifill was a political journalist who co-anchored the PBS News Hour as part of the first all-female anchor team to moderate a Democratic presidential debate. Ifill also moderated the "Washington Week" program and was the first African-American woman to host a major political TV talk show. She inspired other female journalists of color to work hard and achieve success in journalism, as indicated by this PBS tribute that contains letters other journalists wrote to her. Ifill additionally co-founded the International Women's Media Foundation , which seeks to given female journalists a voice around the globe.

Although she primarily served as a political analyst and reporter, Ifill also authored a book, "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." The many awards she received — including the John Chancellor Award, Fourth State Award, George Foster Peabody Award, and an induction into the National Association of Black Journalists' Hall of Fame — evidence her high-caliber reporting and successful career.

10. Carrie Fisher

"I am mentally ill. I can say that. I am not ashamed of that. I survived that, I'm still surviving it, but bring it on. Better me than you."

Carrie was known best for her role as Princess Leia, starting in "Star Wars: Episode IV," but she also authored a couple different books about her Hollywood experience, including "Shockaholic" and "The Princess Diarist." She was nominated for best actress twice and never won an award, but her character's spunk and unique hairstyle certainly captured the hearts of many "Star Wars" fans.

Although people see her as Princess Leia, Fisher also battled drug addiction and bipolar disorder, so she advocated for mental health, became very open about her struggles in the last few years, and sought to change negative stigma in society. She also books, including "Postcards from the Edge" and "Shockaholic" that described her journey through Hollywood as she fought through her condition.