Kanye In Crisis: Why Mental Illness Does Not Discriminate | The Odyssey Online

Kanye In Crisis: Why Mental Illness Does Not Discriminate

Whether you're a Hollywood star or not, anybody can be plagued by the wicked grasp of mental illness.

30
Atlantablackstar.com

It’s no secret that the last month has been a wild ride for rap star, Kanye West. The rapper was placed on psychiatric hold at UCLA Hospital after displaying bizarre behavior while on stage in California during his Saint Pablo tour. While ranting about everything from the music industry to politics, he concluded his speech by stating, “Get ready to have a field day, press! Get ready to have a field day, ‘cause the show’s over.” He then proceeded to exit the stage while leaving his loyal fans in a state of concern and bewilderment.

When asked about the hip-hop star’s condition, Mother-in-Law Kris Jenner explained that he is simply experiencing exhaustion. But I’m going to have to call rubbish on that one, Kris.

While exhaustion can most definitely be taxing on the body and mind, it’s quite apparent that Kanye is dealing with some type of mental illness. Many are speculating about a possible diagnosis, but I believe that exhaustion is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now I’m no doctor, in fact, I’m very far from it. But with that being said, I do have a basic understanding of mental disorders and how they work.

Is it psychosis? Major depressive disorder? Bipolar spectrum disorder? I can’t know for sure, but I do know that he most likely has one (or many) of these diagnosable conditions.

Hollywood stars aren’t rookies when it comes to depression, suicide, and addiction, as it has been occurring for decades. Just within the past few years, several celebrities have ended their lives or have been hospitalized. And we have Amanda Bynes’s breakdown of 2014, when she was hospitalized after showing classic schizophrenia symptoms, and Robin Williams committing suicide that same year.

Along with that, who could forget Britney’s infamous meltdown of ’07? Or Lindsay Lohan’s countless DUI’s, cocaine binges, and multiple arrests? This wasn’t just some social media scheme, because these are real human beings who are dealing with real issues regarding mental health. While it’s bad enough to be dealing with a personal crisis, these stars have the media breathing down their necks, provoking them to show their “crazy side” to the camera.

Although Kanye has shown narcissistic tendencies in the past, he has always managed to hold himself together while focusing on his family and his career. So, what happened this time?

Could it be a build-up of stress, perhaps? Along with most Americans who suffer from mental illness, I believe it's a combination of factors. He most likely suffers from a mental condition, along with an accumulation of recent stress-causing events. With Kim's Paris robbery back in October, the release of his own clothing line, his Saint Pablo tour, and two toddlers, who wouldn't have a nervous breakdown?

Since he has canceled the remainder of his tour and has been released from the hospital, hopefully now he can unwind and spend some much needed quality time with his family. Although this would be ideal for everyone, most Americans aren't hip-hop superstars who can afford to take time off from work and sacrifice a month's salary.

No matter your race, religion, gender, or economic status, mental disorders do not discriminate. Nothing can prevent one from the inevitable phenomenon that is mental illness. Nobody, not even Kanye.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/entertainment/kanye-...