It's Okay That You Aren't Okay

It's Okay That You Aren't Okay

You can ride out the storm.

13
It's Okay That You Aren't Okay

The past month has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have had quite a few times where I felt that I was just not okay. I thought it was a bad thing, I thought it meant that I would not be able to be "okay" again, but I eventually learned that it's okay to not be okay for a moment.

Being "okay" is obviously a relative term. It's meaning is different for everyone. The feeling of being okay is one that always lasted a very long time for me. I never really had any uneasy feelings about not feeling okay. Some events over the past month have made me fall victim to the negativity and let it take over my thinking.

But I'm here to tell you that it's okay. It really is okay to not be okay. This sounds cliche, but it is the most accurate piece of advice I can give. You do not have to have it all together all the time. You don't have to always be positive. Everyone goes through ruts.

During this time, what worked for me was being really self reflective. I really looked at what was really making me upset. I had to remove the negativity and give myself a chance to breathe. Only you can change the dark places in your mind to show light.

So while you're riding out the dark, don't push. Don't push yourself to do more than you can. Don't push others, especially those who love you and want to help away. Once you overcome it, you'll need them to build you back up.

Looking back as someone who is "okay" again (at least for the time being), it was a good thing. It felt bad in the moment, clearly, but it gave me more backbone. It allowed me to further myself into becoming the best version of me that I possibly can. It showed me, as a person very dear to my heart once said, the good outweighs the bad.