It's Okay To Not Have Your Life Planned Out At 20 | The Odyssey Online

It's Okay To Not Have Your Life Planned Out At 20

For those of us who imagined we would, here's why it's OK to not know what you want right now.

1
HopeForYourHeart.org

As a kid, what you want to be when you grow up constantly changes. As you go through high school, the goal is to just graduate and become an "adult." Starting college means actually being the adult your high school self aspired to be, and narrowing down what you want to do with the rest of your life (or at least pick a major). You graduate college, maybe find a nice guy to marry, or maybe you work on your career. Some aspire to have kids and live their life content. Happy endings, right?

For most, yes, aspirations like what's mentioned above can be goals. However, what if you don't have your life together like you planned? What if your version of "adulting" isn't what you imagined, or even what you actually want it to be? If you're like me, it's a pretty confusing place to be at 20.

To me, it's crazy to think that, two years ago, I was just starting college. Just a few months prior, I was still in high school, raising my hand to use the bathroom and worrying about prom. No stress, no worries. At least, not in the context that I categorize my stresses now. Now, two short years later, I'm working a part-time job, going to college, thinking about taxes, and worrying about student debt. But, in all of that, my dreams and aspirations kind of got lost between the exams, jobs, and crazy sleep schedule, I came to the realization that I have absolutely no clue what I want to do anymore. Guess what: I also realized that that's OK.

So, to the girl who doesn't know what she wants to do with her life:

Breathe.

I know this may remind you of what your mom tells you during your two-hour vent sessions with her because you think you failed that test today, but hear me out. The worst thing you can do is get yourself stuck into a cycle. Worrying so much about your stressors that you get so stressed out that you worry, so on and so forth. It's not healthy. It won't do you any good. Now, I'm probably one of the biggest worriers on the planet, but being unhappy is worse than being stressed. This may sound reckless, but if you don't get enjoyment out of your job, quit (or at least be responsible and put in a two weeks' notice). I understand from experience that sometimes, you have to work in order to provide for yourself, to make money to pay rent or pay for school. Part of being an adult is doing what has to be done in order to live well.

Is it really living well, though, if you aren't living up to your potential? If you aren't making yourself happy? If just thinking about going to your workplace fills you with dread, it might be time to put yourself first. On the same note, if you've figured out that college is just not for you, withdrawing or transferring are options. I know how the thought process goes with that one: You don't want to feel like a failure. I've been there, and so have so many others. You don't go out all the time, you study the best that you can, and you try. Sometimes it just doesn't work, though. Instead of thinking of yourself in a negative light, try looking at it as part of a bigger plan.

Why would you stay in a situation where you aren't reaching your full potential? This goes for employment, school, relationships, and everything else in between. You are worthy enough to have happiness. You do not have to be unhappy. Your worth is not determined by whether you have a degree, a husband, and a white picket fence by 26. Your worth is determined by how happy you are, and what you do to achieve that happiness. It may be hard and you may worry yourself to death, but you have a place, and finding that place takes a little bit of courage. No matter what society says, you do not have to have your life together before you're even old enough to legally drink.

You will not be able to find enjoyment out of things if you don't at least acknowledge your worth. Don't settle for anything (or anyone) that you don't have a burning passion for. Most of all, love yourself.

"Remember how far you've come, not just how far you have to go. You are not where you want to be, but neither are you where you used to be." - Rick Warren