A Grand Old Time For The Grand Old Party

Ladies and gentlemen ... the 2016 Republican candidates.

6
ibtimes.com

On August 6, 2015, the 17 contenders for the Republican presidential nomination participated in two debates hosted by Fox News and Facebook in Cleveland, Ohio. The first round of debate was held for the bottom seven contenders at 5 p.m., while the 9 p.m. primetime debate was held for the top 10 candidates in the polls.

A standout among the 5 p.m. contenders was Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, and lone female among the 2016 GOP presidential candidates. Fiorina compared herself to the late Margaret Thatcher, first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and stuck with the comparison even under criticism. Some have speculated that if Fiorina could capture the GOP nomination, it would take away the “wow factor” of Hillary Clinton being the first female president. However, as of August 7, she isn’t anywhere near the top of the GOP polls.

That position still belongs to Donald Trump, who has been an early star in the primary campaign. Regarded by some as a sideshow, others as straight talking, and others still as a false conservative, Trump has remained in his early lead. Known for talking without a filter, Trump did not disappoint at the August 6 debate. Trump was also the lone GOP candidate not to rule out a third party candidacy, claiming he didn’t know if he could get behind any eventual nominee besides himself. Trump’s refusal to rule out an independent run, which would create the possibility of the GOP vote being split and a Democratic victory, inspired a response from Sen. Rand Paul. Paul’s response was that Trump is exactly what is wrong with politics and that he was probably already hedging bets on the Clintons, as Trump is close with the family and has donated to Hillary Clinton’s campaign in the past.

Paul also got into an argument with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie over post-9/11 surveillance. Christie, a U.S. attorney at the time, supports the efforts of the federal government to prevent domestic terrorism through mass surveillance, while Paul considers it an infringement upon Americans’ constitutional rights.

Other highlights from the night include host Megyn Kelly challenging Trump on his remarks about women, neurosurgeon Ben Carson being for the most part ignored, the governors present touting their economic records, and Senator Marco Rubio challenging Hillary Clinton on understanding the underprivileged.

In the aftermath of the debate, here are the simplified advantages and disadvantages of the candidates:

1. Donald Trump

Advantages: Viewed as speaking his mind, has celebrity status, and has an early lead in the polls

Disadvantages: Seen by most conservative media as being faux-conservative, has held progressive views on abortion, immigration and single-payer healthcare in the past, probably is a faux-conservative

2. Jeb Bush

Advantages: Has an arguably successful track record as Florida governor, is popular with donors and may be able to make inroads with Latinos.

Disadvantages: Association with his brother and the Bush dynasty, lacks support among the GOP base and is seen by the Tea Party as not being conservative

3. Scott Walker

Advantages: Holds strong social conservative positions on abortion, successful gubernatorial record, only U.S. governor to win a recall election

Disadvantages: Viewed as average, not as well known as other candidates

4. Ben Carson

Advantages: Isn't a career politician, is intelligent, is a neurosurgeon

Disadvantages: Lack of media coverage, weak on foreign policy knowledge

5. Mike Huckabee

Advantages: Popular among social conservatives, known for hosting a show on Fox News

Disadvantages: Seen as a supporter of big government, some commentators speculate that social conservatism may hurt in a general election

6. Ted Cruz

Advantages: Popular within the Tea Party, seen as standing up to Washington insiders, very intelligent

Disadvantages: Lacked star appeal in the debate and seemed flat compared to Senate speeches, isn't popular with the GOP establishment

7. Marco Rubio

Advantages: Seen as a popular up and coming politician, may be able to attract Latino and working-class voters

Disadvantages: Waning popularity with the Tea Party, remembered for a drinking gaffe after the 2013 State of the Union

8. Rand Paul

Advantages: Son of Ron Paul, support among the younger and libertarian wings of the GOP, seen as a defender of the Constitution and American rights, has attacked the neo-con adventures in the Middle East

Disadvantages: Son of Ron Paul, some libertarian positions are unpopular with the GOP base, seen as weak on foreign policy, has attacked the neo-con adventures in the Middle East

9. Chris Christie

Advantages: Seen as a successful governor who is able to "get things done" and as a straight talker, was once expected to be a major contender for the nomination

Disadvantages: Seen as a bully, a RINO (Republican in Name Only) by the Tea Party, and his embrace of President Obama after Hurricane Sandy has not been forgotten

10. John Kasich

Advantages: Successful gubernatorial record, governs Ohio, the state which holds the GOP key to the presidency

Disadvantages: Lacks the star appeal of some of the other candidates, accepted Medicaid expansions from Obamacare and justified it with religion