The Iran Deal Explained

The Iran Deal Explained

Politics are hard, but who said they couldn't be explained by gifs?

28
The Iran Deal Explained
The Jewish Chronicle Online

Maybe you, like I, had no idea what the Iran deal is or meant to the United States. As primaries are taking place and the first primary vote takes place this Tuesday, I feel now is as of a good time as any for us to learn a little bit about this very important issue. Don't worry, there will be a review at the end

The basics:

The Iran deal is an agreement between a couple different countries. Maybe you remember your days of AP U.S. history? Its kind of like the Allies and Axis powers thing that was in place during the II World War.

The countries of Iran, Germany, United States, Great Britain, China, Russia, and France. Which brings me to my first point, this deal is not just a matter between the United States and Iran. So whatever our next elected president decides to do in regards to the Iran deal, is very important not only to the U.S., but several other important countries.

As for what the deal actually is, at its very bare bones, is trying to reduce the nuclear power that Iran has access to. Iran is on a list that has known terrorism activity. Because of this, the Iran deal seeks to secure that it will take about a year for 1 bomb to built, whereas without the deal it would take just a few months.

So because of this deal, their nuclear activities will be strictly monitored at every step, from obtaining the Uranium required for nuclear power, to where it goes as its transported in its various forms and finally when it reaches nuclear reactors. They even will watch to see where the nuclear waste is going. It is a comprehensive deal, designed to insure Iran uses its nuclear power for good, not harm.

What's the timeline of the deal?

This deal has already gone into affect. President Obama announced on January 16th 2016 that Iran had completed reconciling the lists of concerns that had been presented to them as part of the Iran deal. They were presented with this list in October of 2015, and had 90 days to complete it.

So now that Iran has completed its initial requires as part of the deal, they now must remain peaceful for the next 8 years. If they do this, then Transition Day will take place. This is where the countries involved will begin to remove the sanctions placed upon Iran.

If this transition goes well, then 2 years later, Termination day, will occur and Iran will be completely in control again will no longer be seized by the UN Council.

Over all this is a 10 year plan, and the ultimate goal is that Iran will be peaceful with their nuclear materials.

Concerns

There are, of course, some concerns in regards to this plan.

Is this plan really insure peace with Iran? There is a lot of concern that at best, this will delay them a decade.

There is also concern for other countries in the middle east, such as Israel.

Because so many sanctions will be removed at the termination of the deal, Iran will be able to do whatever they want when its over. Money will flow unlimited, and this could be a very very bad thing.

These are not the only concerns, but these are some pressing ones.

The 2016 Presidential Candidates

The 2016 presidential candidates have spoken out about the Iran deal. The Democratic candidates have sided on agreeing with the deal and the Republicans have disagreed, expressing some of the concerns above.

Review

So all in all the Iran deal seeks to monitor and control how Iran uses its nuclear material in a 10 year agreement. This agreement involves 7 different countries, including the U.S. Finally, there are some concerns about the end result of the deal, about the middle east in general, and the implementation of the deal its self.

Congratulations, you are now a semi-knowledgable young adult about something in the political world!