Inclusion And Acceptance Is Welcomed At State

Penn State embraces new races and ethnicities without deliberation.

21
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation

When attending any school, minority groups have expressed that they have felt like outsiders and un-welcomed. In a community as large as Penn State, many would think that minorities would have a difficult time fitting in and branching out to meet new people. Others think differently.

When talking to students, majority and minority, many of them expressed that minorities have the opportunity to make a mark at the university and that inclusion comes once minorities take it upon themselves to join clubs and organizations.

Many students have chosen to attend Penn State because of its endless opportunities for inclusion and acceptance. Some have communicated that Penn State has an abundance of extracurricular activities to match individual preferences.

Molly Rafferty, 19, a sophomore at Penn State majoring in communication sciences and disorders, explains that because Penn State is a large university, there are countless extracurricular activities and clubs that are geared towards minority groups in which minorities can feel a sense of belonging. She believes whether someone is a minority or not, the college experience is what each individual makes of it.

“I don’t think Penn State needs to do anything,” Rafferty said. “I don’t believe it’s the school’s job to make everyone feel included, especially at a university as big as this. “I believe it’s the job of the individual to make themselves become a part of the Penn State community.”

Although Whites make up a large portion of the population at Penn State, the university is known for its racial diversity including minority groups of Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, Indians, and others. However, diversity is different than inclusion.

Victoria Foulkrod, 21, a Native American junior specializing in psychology, feels that each individual has a choice in whom they talk to and what they involve themselves in. People live in fear of judgment, she says, especially if they branch outside their comfort zones.

“I think the school is very segregated if you let it happen that way,” Foulkrod said. “I don’t think race relations can be improved all that much.”

Race relations has always been a sensitive topic to discuss when brought up to college students. After talking to several Penn State students, some say race relations cannot be improved much upon.

Kristin Dolenti, 19, a sophomore at Penn State focusing on bio-behavioral health, says that there are an uncountable number of organizations that minority groups can join to become more involved in the Penn State culture. Dolenti thinks that once individuals find something to involve themselves in that suits their personality, they will find common ground with other members of that organization.

“I don’t think there is a lot we can do to improve race relations on campus because a lot minority groups like to stick to people from their own race,” Dolenti said. “I think they feel like they are part of the diversity that makes up Penn State, but I don’t think that they have a problem with being diverse.”

Katie Gutknecht, 19, a sophomore at Penn State majoring in business, thinks self-segregation delays progress because not a lot of people want to step out of their comfort zones and feel judged.

“I don’t know if race relations could be improved because people must want to improve relations, which I don’t think there would be strong involvement,” Gutknecht said.

Jamie O’Hare, pursuing a major in supply chain management, strongly believes that students have the ability to find their place at whatever school they attend. Whether they get involved in activities of the same race or venture out to multiracial clubs, she says, everyone can find their sense of belonging.

“Penn State has done enough,” said O’Hare, 20, a junior at Penn State. “At this university, the opportunities are endless.”

As an upcoming junior at State, I do think that minorities have many opportunities to involve themselves with their own ethnicity, as well as other races. I'm Caucasian and Hispanic and I receive daily emails about events going on in the multicultural centers around campus. I have friends that are Caucasian, Hispanic, Indian, Asian, etc. Every ethnicity and race are welcomed at Penn State and have countless tools to do so. It's difficult for any student to begin school at Penn State, but once they are introduced and have individually sought new opportunities to expand their knowledge and friend group, there is not a place anyone would rather be than good ol' State.

Embrace yourself. You are who you are.