The Importance Of Support While Abroad

The Importance Of Support While Abroad

And this is coming from someone who left the nest when she was 16.

6
The Importance Of Support While Abroad

As of last week Wednesday, I've officially been studying abroad for a month. While the adventure has been amazing and I'm looking forward to what more is to come, I can't help but feel nostalgic or slightly home sick every now and then (and this is coming from someone who left the nest at 16 years old). When that wave of nostalgia or home sickness hits me, it is only right that I feel the need to talk to someone back home, someone who is my go to. However, with the time difference and a lack of knowledge on what is going on with everyone else back home, sometimes linking up to talk to an old pal or connecting to talk during a difficult time isn't always easy. As a result, sensitivity and the feeling of carelessness follows. Having a support system while being abroad is extremely important but can also be very stressful depending on communication.

You know what they say: communication is key and patience is a virtue. However, everything is always easier said than done. Nonetheless, it is necessary to activate the support of family and friends while being overseas. They're the ones who help you still feel a sense of connection to home and they are the ones who reassure you that the time abroad will fly so keep enjoying every second even when things feel out of place and foreign. Your support system is made up of the people who you hop on the plane for--of course, not with the intention of getting away, but with the intention of adventuring out to bring them back a piece of your experience. Your support system is made up of the people who you share and post photos for, so that they know you're not only alive but also having a great time. Your support system is made up of the people who were there for you when you boarded the plane and will be there for you when you return home.

As the student who is abroad, sometimes it's easy to only see one side of things, and it doesn't come from selfishness, just a need for that support. So, this one is for everyone back home who is continuing to live life as it is and may not always understand why we study abroad students are so dependent on talking, FaceTiming, or just having someone listen to what's going on.

When you set out to study abroad, the intention is to gain an amazing experience that results in a well-rounded view of the world and more knowledge on different cultures--all while having a fun time, of course! However, keep in mind that while abroad, whether the student is in a program with other students from their school or not, they may still experience difficulty in adjusting and will miss having that support system accessible. Personally, I try to keep in mind that everyone back home still have really important things going on. However, with that being said, please be patient and we'll do the same. If something big happens on this side of the pond and it feels like there was a lack of support, it is only natural to feel some neglect, even if it wasn't on purpose. Tip, just talk it through and put yourself in the student abroad's shoes while also helping them walk a mile in yours.

It isn't easy, but it's important for maintaining such a support system which is vital to prospering while abroad. Sure, each of us may have set out on this adventure for personal reasons, but it's the people back home who we get to share the experience with that makes every second of it worth it.