The Babysitter's Club

The Babysitter's Club

How well do you babysit?

16
The Babysitter's Club

Most of us by now have had our experiences babysitting. We've done our time as a babysitter, and we've made our memories. However, like a lot of us we have specific families we enjoyed to babysit more than others. We had special kids that had a place in our hearts or sometimes really bad experiences. Here are some helpful tips from both mom and babysitter's sides on how to have the best babysitter experience from both ends!

1. Try not to leave the house looking like a tornado hit

It's always fun to play adventures with the kids, but if the house was clean when you started, make it less work for the parents when they come home by picking up your mess.

2. MOMS: Let your babysitters know what time you'll be home!

If you're not sure it's ok to give her a general guess but going in blind could be bad for the both of you. Try to at least give her a heads up when you're coming home just out of curtesy!

3. A conversation ahead of time about rates is a good idea

A lot of people have different expectations and abilities on what to pay the babysitters. It's good to sit down with the sitter before you hire her for a job and ask her what her rates are. The standard going rate now is around $10 - $12 an hour. If that is a problem, I am sure something can be arranged before you hire the sitter.

4. "Can I give you an IOU?"

As a college student and all through high school, these are the most dreaded words. Yes, I am sure you are probably good for your word but you don't go into Walmart asking the cashier if you can pay her for the rest of the groceries next week. If we came to babysit for you tonight, it means we needed the money and that is something we plan to receive after the job is done!

5. If you're hiring a weekly nanny, be sure to set the guidelines ahead of time.

Most kids get tired of the weekly TV watching, and most parents hate it when babysitters do that. If you're hiring a nanny for the job be sure to let her know her boundaries. If taking them to park is ok, then let her know that. She probably wont ask you if she can take your children somewhere unless you make sure she knows it's ok by you.

6. The TV

Some parents are ok with their children watching TV the entire time they are gone. But to some parents that is their idea of a terrible babysitter. Watching a movie before bed is ok but be sure to play with the kids the majority of the time they are in your care. But just so we're clear: We are just as excited to watch the Disney movies as the kids are!

7. PLAY WITH THE KIDS

Growing up one of my favorite babysitters would plan scavenger hunts and awesome hide and seek games for us for when she came over. We always looked forward to her coming and it was a win for our parents because they had more time to go out if their kids were happy. Play with the kids, make it fun. Plan ahead of time to make sure that the time you spend together is well credited and also well earned.

8. Tattle-tailing

It's hard when you're the babysitter and the kids were acting up. You don't want to burden the mother by telling her all the things the child did wrong, but you definitely don't want to come back because they were so hard to handle. At this point you make a judgement call. Do your best in trying to maintain the situation but if it gets out of hand, a small comment to the parents might nudge them enough to know something was out of the ordinary.

9. Discipline

This is a tricky concept. Most mothers are ok with making sure their kid is well behaved by sticking them in time out. Others would rather the disciplining be completely left to the parents, understandably. Be sure to ask this question before the parents leave just as a sign of respect. This isn't something you want to ask forgiveness for later.

10. Sending pics

Parents of younger kids especially need some reassurance that everything is going well! If you're close enough to the parent, sending a pic of two along the night might ease their worries just a tad! Don't blow up their phones, but make sure they know that their children are in good hands!

All of these tips are meant to help both moms and babysitters to be the best they can be! And also to make sure the transition goes smoothly! Follow these tips and you'll be garunteed to have a babysitter that is golden!