How To: Look Like A Tourist | The Odyssey Online

How To: Look Like A Tourist

It's that time of year!

10
How To: Look Like A Tourist
Weetas Blog

Summer '16 is just around the corner! The sun will be shining, sno-cones will be in high demand and best of all, there's no class (save those poor souls taking summer classes). In case you're going anywhere cool and want to exude tourist-y vibes, follow these steps!

1. Get super confused with public transportation/walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk/cause crosswalk jams because you're hella lost

If you're feeling really touristy, you'll be able to do a combination of all three! Locals will be sure to give you the stink eye and/or ignore you completely if you're succeeding in step one.

2. Wear souvenirs from the place while you're still there

Souvenir shopping is one of the best parts of going on vacation, so it's only natural to want to wear your brand new outfit that just so happens to be branded with the location you're visiting. Whether it's a t-shirt or a hat, wearing it as part of your outfit is sure to help you fit right in!

3. Wear clothes with the place you're from embroidered on it

Maybe an old high school t-shirt or one of those free university shirts--either will do the trick! You won't even have to explain where you're traveling from if you go with this option!

4. Wear matching outfits if you're traveling in a crowd, mass-produced t-shirts are very effective

Nothing beats those adorable school field trip shirts! Bright colors and large lettering are sure to keep your group together and easily recognizable!

5. Walk around with a map in hand

Not just any map, get one of those that unfolds to 5x its folded size!

6. Take the map from #5 and hold it up really close to your face

This ensures that you won't be able to see much out of your peripheral, causing some pedestrian traffic jams that were mentioned in tip #1.

7. Loiter around entrances since you're unsure of where to go

This step kills two birds with one stone! People are more likely to feel annoyed if you're hanging around entrances and they can't get in.

8. Look like you're really enjoying the architecture of the building on the street even though it's just a rectangle skyscraper

Locals have lived there, seen that, so you can bet it draws attention when you're looking up in awe at something that's been there for a handful of decades.

9. Stare

You have two eyes so you might as well use them to observe some cool stuff!

10. Stare at people

Stare at locals, restaurant owners chillin' outside, other tourists, etc.

11. Stare at the cracks in the sidewalks

You never know, they could be something unmissable!

12. Stare at the resident crazy lady

Almost every place has one, especially if you visit a Metropolitan area. One time, I was in D.C. and this lady was yelling at a building. For real. A building. But don't worry, this couple walked by her and she started yelling at them too! Everyone can have a yell if you know where to go!

13. Really just stare at anything that's new to you, even if you have it back home

Perhaps the thing that's here is a different color or a brighter shade, or maybe it's just bigger--which is impossible if you're originally from Texas because everything's bigger in Texas!

14. Wear a fanny pack and wear it proudly

Do you know how much you can fit in one of those things?

15. Selfie. In front of everything. In front of every McDonald's. In front of every structure you visit.

You gotta document your trip somehow, right?

16. Pause every 16 feet to check for new geofilters

Don't forget to also post every geofilter on your snapchat story so all of your followers can track your every step! It'll almost be like they are right there with you!