How To Keep The Joy In Christmas

How To Keep The Joy In Christmas

52
How To Keep The Joy In Christmas

Christmas is my favorite time of year. It always has been, and I hope it always will be. When I was little, Christmastime was made fun by everyone: from making winter crafts with your teacher to decorating the tree with your family, Christmas was definitely the most joyful time of the year.

As a college student, I have noticed my Christmas enthusiasm drop. At college, the whole month of December might just be the roughest time of the semester. Your classes are still in session, so you're still going to class, and you're still doing work in those classes. But, while you're still doing work, finals are creeping around the corner. It's a lot to handle, and it's coming at you all at once.

I will always have Christmas in my heart, but Christmas in my head has been the challenge lately: how can I focus on the merry nature of Christmas when I'm focused on The Big Bang or supply and demand?

So, from a college student to my fellow college students-- here are some things to do when you feel your Christmas enthusiasm dip, and how they help keep Christmas in your head and in your heart:

1. Decorate.

(Being present)

Take some time to decorate your dorm room... put up some garland, hang some stockings, and put some ornaments on your tree. But, try to be in the moment. Don't think about the paper you have to do-- be in the moment. Decorate your dorm, be with your friends, and put your work aside for an hour.

2. Put on Christmas music that you can sing and dance to.

(Having fun)

Turn up the Mariah Carey and have a dance party with your roommates. The Christmas season is about being happy, and what makes you more happy than having some fun?

3. Bake cookies.

(Sharing some love)

Bake cookies and share the cookies with some friends! It'll get you in the Christmas mood, and it'll get them in the mood, too. Maybe even share some cookies with the people on your floor that you haven't met yet! Share some cookies, share some spirit, share some love.

4. Buy some gifts.

(Hugging someone)

Let people know how much you love them this holiday season. While getting someone a gift does show that you care for them, let them know in a different way, too-- give 'em a hug! (Especially hug the friends who hate hugging... so much fun.)

5. Give some gifts.

(Putting the past behind you)

Use this holiday season as a time to turn over a new leaf... reach out to the friend you lost touch with. Send them something in the mail this Christmas, even if it's just a note. It'll mean more to them than you think. Put the past behind you. It'll make you feel good.

6. Buy holiday-themed food at the grocery store.

(Donating food, money, or time)

When you're at the store stocking up on some eggnog, don't forget to give what you can. Whether you donate some cans of veggies or you give two hours of your time to your local soup kitchen, help those who can't help themselves this Christmas.

7. Ride around and look at the lights.

(Being someone else's light)

Take some time out of your evening to ride around the local streets and admire the houses that go all-out. Get a group together, squeeze into the back of your friends Honda, and bring some hot chocolate. And while you're driving around, listen to the conversation that goes on in the car. Maybe one of your friends is stressed and needs someone to talk to; maybe someone else is really homesick and misses her parents. Be there for your friends, just as they'll be there for you. Be each other's lights.

8. If you have a snow day, spend some time outside playing in the snow.

(Making new friends)

Snow days are the best. Don't spend them all cooped up in your dorm room. Grab your hat, gloves, and jacket and go outside. You might even make some new friends.

9. Take pictures with your friends.

(Creating memories)

Take pictures with your friends this holiday season. Stand in front of your tree, catch them opening their present, or pose in santa suits-- create memories and capture them, so you can remember them forever.

10. Before you start your day, think of three things you're grateful for.

(Keeping a thankful heart)

I'll speak for myself: I have so much to be thankful for, and sometimes I lose sight of that. This Christmas, I want to remind myself, every day, how much I have to be grateful for, and that the best things in life aren't things.