How To Get Ready For Your First Day Of Work

Tips for preparing for the real world...

32
livecareer.com

Right about now summer internships and summer jobs are starting, and with that excitement comes the inevitable nerves of starting something new. Here are some tips to better prepare yourself for that first day:

1. Dress code.

The biggest question mark can often be the dress code, which might mot be explicitly mentioned in the job description, and therefore remains a bit ambiguous. While it obviously pertains to your particular company, it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed. If you are working in a corporate environment, business professional attire is always the safest choice on the first day, and then from there you can assess what others are wearing.

First impressions are extremely important and they set the stage for the rest of the job. If you want to exude professionalism and confidence, remember to dress to impress.

2. Promptness.

Arriving early on the first day seems like a given, but the importance of promptness can not be emphasized enough. It indicates your interest in the company, and your eagerness to work. Whether your internship is paid or unpaid, take it very seriously like a real job. You never know: it may well be one day.

3. Organization.

Another tip is to find out before the first day what sort of onboarding paperwork and documentation you need to bring with you. This is very important because if you do not have all the necessary materials, this could delay your ability to start working. Also, make sure you have been cleared to start, and that any preliminary paperwork has been officially received. It’s always better to be prepared ad organized ahead of time,just in case a problem arises.

4. Best behavior.

The first day will most likely be an introduction to the company, a chance to meet co-workers, other interns and learn your way around the office. Even though you might not be working on a specific project yet, act professionally, and as if you are being constantly watched (which you are). Any job or internship opportunity is a lot about you finding out if you like a certain career and company, but also for that company to evaluate you, and possibly consider you for a permanent position.

5. Turn off your cell phone.

Another important tip is to avoid using your cell phone while at work, especially on the first day. Even if you see your supervisor on his or her phone, put your phone on silent and check it sparingly. Cell phones are used so often, it seems only natural to check it during some down time, but try to restrain from using it, so you remain focused on your job. It may not seem like a big deal, but it will set you apart from the other interns.

6. Packing your bag.

The next big question concerning the first day of work is what to bring. Other than any specifics that you may have been told to bring, make sure to have your license and some other form of ID, which will usually assist you when completing the on-boarding paperwork during the first day. In addition, bring a notebook and pen, just in case you need to jot down notes, or people’s names.

Even though the first day is daunting, you’ll be a pro at everything before you know it. Get ready for a challenging and rewarding summer!