How to Effectively Exfoliate Your Face the Right Way | The Odyssey Online

How to Effectively Exfoliate Your Face the Right Way

Exfoliate Your Face

13

Dry (or dehydrated) facial skin is more common in certain persons than in others.

Dry patches on the skin can be eliminated with a moisturizer for dry skin, creams, exfoliants, and other skincare therapies. Temperature changes, soaps with harsh chemicals, or skin disorders like eczema, can all contribute to extremely dry skin on the face.

People often get rid of dry patches on the skin using recommended products for dry skin like deep pore cleansers and anti-aging moisturizers. This article will focus on exfoliation and how it works.

Why You Should Exfoliate

Every 30 days or more, your skin experiences a natural turnover cycle. When this occurs, your skin's outermost layer sheds and exposes fresh skin underneath (dermis).

The cell turnover cycle isn't usually that distinct though. Dead skin cells might occasionally fail to thoroughly exfoliate, resulting in flaky skin, dry areas, and clogged pores. For mature or dehydrated face skin, exfoliating may assist moisturizers and serums entering the skin more. This enables the foundation to glide on rather than cling to dry, itchy skin.

Exfoliation is how dead skin cells get eliminated with an exfoliant, which can be either a chemical or a tool. They exist in different kinds, including chemical processes and brushes. Exfoliating is crucial because it helps break down some of the cells that contribute to skin dullness and dry patches on the skin. This is because some of those "dead" surface cells are what contain part of the pigment.

While having brighter skin is undoubtedly a benefit, exfoliating may also assist in making your skin healthier. Your skin care products might not be able to penetrate and perform their job if your skin is covered in dead, dry cells. In essence, it also helps your skin therapy to perform better.

Tips for Exfoliating Your Skin

Source

Your skin can become matted with dead skin cells if you don't exfoliate properly, making your face appear older and duller. Additionally, moisturizer won't completely absorb and the foundation won't apply to your skin cleanly. In light of that, here are some tips for exfoliating your face.

1. Use the Products Correctly

Even the best products can produce unsatisfactory effects if they are misused. Always stick to the directions while using a chemical exfoliant. Use a tiny quantity of product with clean fingertips and make small, gentle circular motions to clean the skin. After a minute or two, you can rinse the exfoliator off the skin.

When dealing with mature skin, follow the directions for chemical peel products and resist the urge to keep them on for longer than advised. Good products for mature skin include deep pore cleansers. A deep pore cleanser will help to balance too much oil in the skin when used properly. It deep-cleans your pores, while also combating irritation and redness.

1. Know Your Skin Type

Before choosing an exfoliator, you must know your skin type. Remember that your skin type can change with age, weather changes, and lifestyle factors like smoking.

You can consult a dermatologist or esthetician to find out your skin type. But, following these instructions can also get you the same results at home:

• Take a shower and wipe off any makeup.
  • Pat your face dry but skip the toner and moisturizer.
  • After an hour, wipe your face with a tissue in various places.

What you seek is as follows:

• You have oily skin if the tissue absorbs oil from your entire face.
  • You have mixed skin if the tissue only absorbs oil in specific locations.
  • If there is no oil on the tissue, you either have normal skin or dry skin. However, if there are any flaky or scaly patches on your face, you have extremely dry skin.
  1. Exfoliate at Morning Baths

While exfoliating at any time of day is effective, doing so in the morning is recommended since the skin heals itself overnight.

Why do we say so? Each morning, your skin sheds off old skin from the previous night. This makes it easy to wash off and scrub out the dirt instead of having to exert force and damage your skin in the process.

1. Put on Some Moisturizer

Make sure to rinse off the exfoliating solution and any remaining dead skin cells before patting your skin dry with a fresh towel. After exfoliating and showering or soaking, apply a moisturizer or shea butter to help your skin retain moisture and glow. Select your anti-aging moisturizer carefully. Only go for the best to avoid any reaction.

1. Apply Pressure

While avoiding injury is essential, being too gentle when exfoliating will prevent the dead skin from being removed.

You need to be able to apply enough pressure to get rid of stubborn and persistent dirt so your pores can open up to get your desired result.

Pressure here can be relative, as your skin type determines just how much force your face can handle, so make sure to pay attention to that.

Types of Exfoliation

There are different types of exfoliation and your application depends on the intended effect, skin type, or preference. They include chemical, physical, or mechanical exfoliation.

Chemical Exfoliation

This means using approved skincare chemicals to exfoliate your skin, eliminate impurities, and open up your skin pores. To exfoliate appropriately using chemicals:

• Cleanse your face using a regular cleanser.
  • Apply your chemical exfoliator evenly to your entire face, neck, décolleté, and even the tops of your hands.
  • Give your chemical exfoliator a few minutes to sink into the skin before using a face moisturizing cream or gel.

Please be aware that some chemical exfoliants are frequently called "peels." These are like masks and must be removed after a few minutes.

Mechanical Exfoliation

Instead of dissolving dead skin, mechanical exfoliation removes it physically. It is less gentle than chemical exfoliation and performs better on normal to oily skin. However, resist using mechanical exfoliation for hypersensitive or chapped skin.

Also, using a firm material removes dead skin cells during physical (or manual) exfoliation.

One technique is using a liquid, gel, or scrub containing grains like sugar or microbeads. An additional method utilizes a brush, sponge, or another skincare item. In essence, manual exfoliation involves "scrubbing" and is typically carried out using beaded cleansers.

While exfoliating the skin has many advantages, some people might not enjoy it. The issue with physical exfoliation is that people might scrub too vigorously or for too long. This, along with the action of the beads, can cause skin irritation and a deterioration of the valuable skin barrier. You could then get rashes and outbreaks, or your skin can become painful.

Exfoliating and Cleansing - Which Should Come First?

There is no specific order on how to go about exfoliating. Both have their benefits, depending on your particular reason for exfoliating. However, here is what you need to know before you decide on what to use first.

Exfoliating First

Removing dead skin cells during washing is the key advantage of exfoliating. A milder skincare approach can involve washing when you get up and using an exfoliator a few times per week before bed.

The face shouldn't be scrubbed with a washcloth or sponge while cleaning since this might irritate the skin. A person should gently apply cleanser with their fingertips, rub in a circular motion, and then rinse with water. They should use a moisturizer made for their skin type after exfoliating.

Cleansing First

Cleansing the face first will allow chemical exfoliants to go deep into the skin and prevent dirt from pushing deeper, especially if using mechanical exfoliation. Although a gentle cleanser or exfoliant alone should remove makeup and dirt — using both may rid the skin of moisture.

Source

What May Occur if You Exfoliate Too Much or Too Little?

Over-exfoliation is relatively easy to detect. For instance, irritability is a red flag indicating something is amiss. No exfoliation should produce any apparent flaking or redness of the skin. These are indications of skin damage, and they could cause infections or chronic disorders like eczema. Excessive exfoliating can also lead to damaged capillaries and minor skin tears.

However, if you don't exfoliate sufficiently, dead skin can accumulate and cause dullness, congestion, and a harsh texture. Without adequate exfoliation, other skin care products might not have the chance to absorb as profoundly as they should.

Conclusion

Much more than having exfoliating products is knowing when and how to exfoliate your face properly. Understand and unify yourself with your skin type. Pay attention to specific ingredients that you react badly to and keep a journal.

Most people do not do this. However, having a progress journal when starting your exfoliation journey helps you keep track of your good, bad, and ugly days. It also makes it easier if you ever have an appointment with your dermatologist.

In essence, be intentional. Exfoliating is not difficult or stressful. However, if it is not done with consistency and attention, the results might be the opposite of what you want.