How to Manage Multiple Jobs | The Odyssey Online

How to Manage Multiple Jobs

47
How to Manage Multiple Jobs

Having more than one part-time job in college can be daunting, but it may be necessary. It may feel great to be bringing in two revenue streams, but having more than one job and being a full-time student can take its toll. Managing your time well during these commitments is the proper road to success. As a current full-time college student, with two jobs, and an internship, I am a trustworthy source this topic. Here are some tips to easily regulate your time, and your part time jobs.

1. Motivation

Motivation can be great for getting the job, and maintaining that drive in the workplace. If you feel like you are too overwhelmed or "over it", just remember to constantly remind yourself why you have two jobs. Maybe you are saving up for something special, or you need more income to pay monthly bills, or you are just proud that have two jobs in the first place. Motivation will help you to better manage your time and stress, when it comes to having multiples part time jobs.

2. Scheduling work

If your work schedule is all over the place because you have more than one job, come up with a new one that you can manage better. Maybe it would be better to keep one job for the morning, and one for the afternoon. Figure out something that will help make your life feel less hectic. Make sure you allow yourself to have breaks, as it can get exhausting, if you do not stop and take some time for yourself. Constantly working and going to school can inhibit your ability to be successful in your commitments. Get enough sleep and relax accordingly.

3. Communicate

Your second job probably knows that you already have another job, if you listed it on your resume, or discussed it during your interview. It's okay to have more than one job, and your employers understand that. You can discuss this topic with your bosses, and discuss ways to succeed with them. It is better for your employers to know that you have another job, because if they did not know, they will eventually find out anyway. It's better for them to know that you are a busy college student that has a lot going on, and they have to understand that.

4. School comes first

School becomes so ingrained into our daily routine, that we often forget that it is our main priority. As with employers, communicate with your professors if needed. Your professors can be very helpful with providing information or assistance when you are in a busy period. Some professors may not be as accommodating as others, but it never hurts to ask.

If you maintain your goals, and you're getting that money, you should be proud! It is not easy juggling so many different engagements, but know that you're doing it, and that in itself is awesome. Try to stay sane through all of it, and know that your priorities are in the right place!