How I Fell In Love With 'Sex And The City'

How the show my mom used to watch became my new obsession.

12
Bustle

There are a lot of things I didn't know I was going to enjoy when I was younger. I didn't know I would want to eat healthier, I didn't know I would enjoy alcohol, and I definitely didn't know I was going to be as compelled as I am with the story of Carrie Bradshaw and her four friends in the city of New York.

About a month ago, I became hooked on "Sex and The City." I remembered it as being a "girly" show that my Mom watched and had movies that people thought were bad. One night, I was just going through twitter and a trusted person I followed was talking about how great of a show it was. I had heard before that it was a pretty good show despite the movies from others as well and a friend had even talked about watching it.

I am a straight white man who wasn't prepared to have much in common with four 30 something women living in New York. But shortly after my initial plunge, I was hooked. I found Carrie Bradshaw, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, absolutely charming and compelling. I understood why she was a staple of television culture as she very well should be. She was trying to have it all in New York City and party it up with her girlfriends. I loved them all Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha all became my friends real fast.

I never considered myself a person who was afraid of female-led television or movies. I also had no problem with how masculine or feminine a show was either. I just happened to never really consider myself a person who would want to watch that show, and boy was I wrong.

I even have come to love all of the men in the girls' lives. I am so pro Carrie/Big that it isn't even funny. I am always rooting for that relationship, even though I also kind of cheated and know's what happens in the end (Spoilers?). I also have taken a liking to Miranda's on again, off again man Steve. He can be a bit grating sometimes, but he seems like such a nice guy, I would feel bad not rooting for him.

The show has a really good structure and writing. It's at its very best whenever there is a scene of all the girls sitting down at a table just talking about life and what has them up or down. It shows their friendship and how strong it is, along with showing how much natural charisma and chemistry they all have with one another.

I am currently in the middle of Season 5, so I am almost near the end of the series, but I will at least have two movies to give a shot. I'm not preparing to think they're very good. But I almost certainly have a good time watching them, being a fan at this point.

I guess if there is a message here, it's about trying new things, no matter how much out of your comfort zone it may be. You never know what you're going to find out you love next. It can be applied to anything, not just television. It can bring about a change in your life that will make you feel great. So get out there and find your new obsession, and I'll stay here and watch "Sex and the City."

For anyone asking, I'm a Carrie with shades of Miranda. Miranda is my favorite because she's smart and fabulous.