Houda Ezra Ebrahim Nonoo: The Return of the Esther Spirit

Houda Ezra Nonoo, Former Bahraini Jewish ambassador to Washington, has been a source of great service to Israeli interests that few of us are aware of. She has used her close contacts with the current foreign minister of Bahrain to serve her Israeli comrades.

71
Credit: AP

In June, an important conference was held in Manama, Bahrain, whose agenda focused on the subject of the Deal of the Century and the Israeli-Arab peace plan. Based on official reports, in addition to the friendly atmosphere at the summit, what cut my attention was a warm welcome from the Bahraini authorities for Israeli attendees.

After the conference, a question raised in my mind: Why was Manama chosen exactly to host this meeting among different Arab capitals? While it was possible to hold the summit in another Arab country such as the UAE or Oman or Jordan or Egypt.

In this context, I've started extensive research on the case of Bahrain and Israel relations until I finally reached a heroic and anonymous Jewish woman named Houda Nonoo.

Houda Ezra Nonoo is the first female Ambassador from Bahrain and the first Jewish Ambassador of an Arab country in Washington. Many years ago, Her Jewish family emigrated from Iraq to Bahrain, where they engaged in business and money exchange. In the shadow of the great successes of this family, BASMA, The Bahrain Services & Maintenance Company, is now one of the most successful Bahraini companies. With such a family background Nonoo served as Bahrain's ambassador to the United States from 2008 to 2013, and was elected to the Bahrain Parliament from 2004 to 2008.

While concentrating on investigating her life, one of the sources informed me of her unusual relationship with Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, current Bahrain's Minister of Foreign Affairs.

The first meeting between young Khalid and the Jewish teenager:

Jimmy Carter's election campaign in 1980 turned into the first meeting of Young Khalid, who was studying history and political science at St. Edward's University with Houda Nonoo, a 16-year-old Jewish teenager. Together, they worked on the campaign of then-President Jimmy Carter. After Jimmy Carter's defeat and Ronald Reagan's victory, Houda returned to his family in England, but his love affair with Khalid never ended.

Al Khalifa family opposes Khalid and Houda's marriage:

Khalid went to Britain several times to meet Houda, who attended Carmel College, a Jewish boarding school. These repeated friendly and romantic relationship raised the concern of the Al Khalifa family in Bahrain. As a result, they emphasized to Khalid that he had only one choice between a political future and marrying a Jewish girl. Eventually, these threats resulted, and Khalid was forced to marry Sheikha Wissal bint Mohammed Al Khalifa.

Continuation of the relationship between Khalid and Houda:

Despite Houda's marriage to Salman Idafar, a British Jewish businessman, and Khalid bin Ahmad's marriage Sheikha Wissal, relations between the two never weakened, and their meetings continued in Bahrain, England and especially the US where Khalid's diplomatic mission was. Meetings between Houda and Khalid took place in the United States, and Houda and her family's business in the United States grew sharply during Khalid's presence at the Bahrain Embassy, then Khalid's business cooperation with Houda was established at this point.

During his time in the United States, Khalid was associated with organizations such as AIPAC in addition to many formal meetings between Khalid and Rupert Murdoch and Sheldon Adelson with the presence of Houda.

Khalid and Houda have jointly increased their interactions with Jewish organizations, but the Al Khalifa family has always been concerned about the disclosure.

Khalid returned to Bahrain after being appointed to the Bahrain Minister of Foreign Affairs as a chief liaison officer responsible for the maritime delimitation and territorial dispute between Bahrain and Qatar. At this point, his meetings to Houda Ezra, which had a more prominent presence in Bahrain to expand the family's business activities, were further enhanced. During this period, from 1995 to 2001, Houda provided valuable legal advice, with the support of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its Intelligence agencies. These consultations enabled Khalid to reveal Qatar's attempt to present fake documents to the ICJ, International Court of Justice. Thus, the International Court of Justice found Qatar's claims invalid, and Bahrain was able to officially annex the Hawar Islands and the Jaradah Island into its territories. This was the first glittering victory in Khalid's career that Houda's role in this success is quite evident and eventually led Khalid to be given Bahrain Second Class Medal.

Khalid's approach to Jewish groups:

At the same time, Houda Ezra tried to bring Khalid closer to Jewish groups and the idea of recognizing Israel. Also at this stage, Khalid's financial relations and business affiliations with the Nonoo family expanded further, which caused strengthened the relationship between them.

Appointing Khalid as Foreign Minister and Hoda Ezra as First Jewish Ambassador

Following Khalid's appointment as Bahrain's Foreign Minister (2005), he sought compensation for Nonoo's favour and was able to garner the support of Bahrain's political circles by appointing him Bahrain's first Jewish ambassador (2008). This provoked the anger of the religious and extremist and also was seen as a sign of sign of proximity of Israeli-Arab relations.

At this point, Houda Ezra did not forget her duty to the Jewish homeland, and in this context, she planned to meet Khalid bin Ahmad and other Bahraini officials with Jewish and Israeli activists and groups, whose results are now in effect that we are witnessing the quasi-official recognition of Israel by Bahrain.

A Feminine's Tension and a Statement of Political Life by Houda Ezra

After her appointment as Bahrain's ambassador to Washington, Khalid's repeated trips to the United States sparked outrage and suspicion from his wife, Sheikha Wissal, who realized that her husband's relationship with Hoda Ezra was not only weakened but also strengthened day by day Sheikha Wissal's anger led to a crisis at the royal palace, and she sent a letter to Hamad bin Isa, the King of Bahrain, complaining about her husband's intolerable behavior, warning that her patience running out. After consulting the court in order to prevent a political and ethical scandal, King Hamad did not extend the achievement of Nonoo's mission in Washington anymore and Foreign Ministry no longer used his services officially, while Houda was able to present an acceptable face of the Bahraini government in Washington's political circles. Although Mrs. Nonoo returned to the UK to pursue her business projects there and in Bahrain, history will never forget her enormous service to Israel. From now on, the Israelis can proudly and confidently secure its position in the capital city of Manama, Bahrain, where Israel, with the help of a sincere Jewish woman, holds the hand of a foreign minister in a prestigious Arab state. I would not go astray to say that Houda Nonoo is Esther of our time who has been able to provide us with strong allies in the interests of Israel and Jews in the heart of the Kingdom of Bahrain.