10 Hidden Gems On Online Streaming Services | The Odyssey Online

10 Hidden Gems On Online Streaming Services

There's so many awesome films on Netflix, HBOGO, and even YouTube that many of us don't even know about.

117
Juksy

Although I do applaud streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video for putting up even better quality content, there are some hidden gems on these sites that definitely need to be talked about more. While some of them are well acclaimed, a lot of them are great finds that are simply overlooked maybe because they don't appeal with the same production value as other films/shows. Here are just some you can find if you have a subscription to any of these sites.

1. "Sing Street" (2016) - Netflix

This was nominated for a Golden Globe for Comedy/Musical and rightly so. If you have any nostalgia or just all around love for the 80s culture, you will definitely appreciate what John Carney was trying to do with this film. Set in Ireland, where many were trying to flee to London during the hard times, Connor sets it upon himself to get his band to new heights while also trying to win over the beautiful Raphina - an aspiring model. There are even original songs in this movie (which have gotten stuck in my head ever since), which alone shows the creativity this movie has to offer. While there are depressing notes of hard family struggles, it honestly is just a feel good movie that I think should definitely be talked about more.

2. "The Fundamentals of Caring" (2016) - Netflix

I had a friend actually recommend this to me and because I love Paul Rudd as a human being so much I obviously gave it a watch. This is actually a really funny movie and with bigger names like Paul Rudd and Selena Gomez included in it, I actually think it's Craig Roberts who holds this movie. If you've seen him in films like "Submarine," his stint of the U.K. "Skins," or the infamous "Ass-Juice" in Seth Rogen's "Neighbors," you already know his comedy timing is pretty spot on. However, with the dark humor that makes up this film, I could not help but appreciate what he was able to to do with his character and both the funny and serious aspects he has to face.

3. "Y Tu Mamá También" (2001) - Netflix

This shouldn't even be a hidden gem in my opinion, but should just be a gem. This is one of my favorite movies - period - and the fact that no one knows what I'm talking about when I refer to this movie makes me sad, so that's why I'm putting it on here. Director of 2013's "Gravity", Alfonso Cuaron brings to life a coming of age road trip type of movie that includes both Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal in their basically their first big break out roles. If you're not a fan of subtitles, I promise after a while you will not even notice them, because the pure banter this movie contains is reason to watch it alone. Having seen it a couple of times myself, I think it holds up and I keep finding new themes about it that I enjoy even more with each watch.

4. "The Invitation" (2015) - Netflix

Don't let someone ruin this one for you. Just watch it. However, have you ever watched something that is so suspenseful and so close to its "big reveal," yet still not there yet that you find yourself tipping off the edge of your proverbial seat? Then you most likely have experienced something similar to watching "The Invitation." This is a thriller, but one that makes you second guess yourself throughout the entire movie. All you need to know about this film is that after some time, Will gets invited to his ex-wife's dinner party where he becomes suspicious of their intentions. While Netflix also has good suspense thrillers like "Hush" on their site, this one is more of a mind game that will stick with you 'til the unexpected ending. And if watching with friends, there most definitely will be a discussion afterwards.

5. "Montage of Heck" (2015) - HBOGO

For any HBO subscribers out there that enjoy interesting documentaries, this one is so innovative and cool. Produced by his daughter, Frances Bean Cobain, this focuses on the life and rise of Kurt Cobain. Different from the regular documentary format, this includes his own drawings, home sound recordings, and notes that are animated and/or reenacted in both cartoon formats as well regular narration over his old photographs. And while Courtney Love did not really have much input or comments in other Cobain documentaries like "Soaked in Bleach," she both comments in this and her relationship with Kurt is shown in all of its infamous glory. I still think this is one of my favorite documentaries to date, and if you even remotely interested in Nirvana, Cobain, or the culture surrounding that period, I definitely think you should give this a look (or get someone's password).

6. "Short Term 12" (2013) - Netflix

Before Brie Larson had the "Room" acclaim she has now, she was giving an undeniably powerful performance in this film (among many others). In the film, both she and her coworker/boyfriend run a foster home for troubled youth. While it includes a lot of different young characters with each of their struggles, I never found this film exhausting or too depressing to watch. Her approach to the others in this film elicit a lot of the emotions that they have not been able to express in their lives as well as eliciting what she has kept bottled inside her own life as well. This film is even talked about being one of the top films of the year that rarely anyone mentioned.

7. "Kids" (1995) - YouTube

You can watch this one in the comfort of your friendly neighborhood YouTube browser. Ever seen Spring Breakers and had a keenly interested, yet slightly disturbed feeling? This film was the birth of that feeling. When Harmony Korine (director of "Spring Breakers") was only 19, he wrote the screenplay for this Larry Clark drama. The basis of this film circulates around two subsets in New York City - young teen Telly and his friends, and Jenny (Chloe Sevigny) and her friend Ruby (Rosario Dawson). Telly, obsessed with deflowering virgins, doesn't realize he is HIV positive in doing so (of course, it's the 90s). And while Jenny and Ruby finally get tested, they must come to terms with the results. At the time of its release, people actually thought this film was an experimental documentary film where Clark just filmed the kids he found on the streets in their daily lives. While he did observe the happenings of these kids, he brought it to life with these lively young actors all from around the same NYC scene. While we all know there are kids around the world that are involved in this adult like scene, it is somewhat disturbing to see it in such a realistic presence in "Kids."

8. "Candy" (2006) - YouTube

Sometimes I miss Heath Ledger so much I get sad thinking about how much more he could have done. Although his times as Patrick Verona and The Joker are memorable in their own right, his performance in this film will devastate you even more. Ledger's character, Dan - a heroin addicted, poet - falls desperately in love with the titular Candy and soon his influence on her takes over both of their lives. Although the two are on a destructive path, they know only they are able to combat their addiction. The chemistry between both Ledger and Abby Cornish is just amazing in this one.

9. "My Own Private Idaho" (1991) - YouTube

Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix (who were actually best friends during this time) star in this film. From Gus Van Sant, who gave us legendary films like "Drugstore Cowboy" and "Milk," comes this strange yet exhilarating tale of Mike - a wandering, nihilistic, narcoleptic from Idaho who later finds himself in Seattle. What's burdening his mind we find is that with each narcoleptic episode he has, it is somehow linked back to his mother and his origins. Reeves' character, Scott Favor, the object of Mike's affection, is the complete opposite from Phoenix's in that he is son to his millionaire father who does not even need to be on the street like the rest of their group. He wants to do what isn't expected of him in life, and prides himself on the fact that he is able to do just that. Despite this interesting, Shakespearian- like story, this film is actually one that will leave you a little heartbroken by the story's end. But hey, we all need a cry once in a while.

10. "Funny Games" (2007) - HBOGO

While I have not seen the German 1997 original, (that I heard this is a shot for shot remake of), I was just so creeped out watching this. The basis of the story is as follows: A rich upper class family (Tim Roth and Naomi Watts as the parents) comes to their lake house for vacation where two attendant looking boys come ask to borrow eggs for the house they were attend for. It gets even more complicated and uncomfortable when the two end up terrorizing the family, their house and torturing them with their "games" they insist on playing. If you think this is some type of normal intruder story, you will be thoroughly surprised and disturbed by this thriller. It's well acted (especially Michael Pitt), well written, and well directed, with even some breaking of the fourth wall. And the ending, don't get me started on the ending.

Which hidden gems have you found to stream?