10 Keys To A Successful Freshman Year At Syracuse | The Odyssey Online

10 Keys To A Successful Freshman Year At Syracuse

Because we all wish someone would have told us.

185

With the end of senior year and high school graduation comes the next chapter in life: college, specifically freshman year. Recent high school graduates, you may think that high school was fun, annoying, carefree, and even easy. No matter how you felt about your four years in high school, the next four or five years of your education are beyond comparison. College is an altogether different experience, which builds the adult you become…no pressure right? Well to help alleviate some of the pressures you may feel, here are 10 keys to a successful freshman year.

1. Go to class.

You may think that you can just get by and coast through class, maybe go when there’s an exam or a paper due. You would be very, very wrong. It’s so important as a freshman to go to class. Not only does this give you insight for assignments and exams, but also you build relationships with your fellow students outside of your dorm hall. You meet your professor and get an understanding of how he or she grades and runs class. So go to class, your parents’ wallets will thank you for it.

2. Become friends with people other than your floor-mates.

The first week of school most freshman only want two things: easy access to drinks and friends. Whether it’s through rush for a fraternity or sorority, or simply going to activities sign up day on the quad, finding your people is a pivotal part of your college experience. When they, whoever they are, tell you these are the people who will be with you for the rest of your life, they aren’t lying. Put in a little bit of effort, and don’t be forever alone. Meet people! It’s fun and easy, especially at Syracuse.

3. Travel in packs.

Whether it’s going to a party or going out to get groceries, traveling in a pack is key for safety and success. Travel with your pack to your favorite frat to turn up, don’t show up alone…that’s just sad. Travel with your pack to get groceries! You’ll find you not only conquer your local pharmacy or Wegmans, but you have a good time doing it too. When leaving for a holiday break, split that gas money, and everyone loves some company for those long drives. And finally, stay with your pack when going to the library, you’ll have people to talk to in order that you stay sane, and people who want to see you ace your paper or exam.

4. Bird Library is bae.

When I was a freshman, I stayed in my dorm to study. Little did I know the wonderland of intellectual enrichment that is Bird Library. Located between Watson Hall and Schine Student Center, Bird has something for everyone. If you like a small reading corner, they have it. Would you like a large table for a group? Not a problem. How about a small café, conveniently located at the entrance with substantial seating? Of course! Had I known all the wonderful possibilities Bird had to offer for my freshman year, I would have been there every other day. Now that I know about it, I am there every day. Club Bird, where their specialty drink is knowledge.

5. The freshman 15: it’s real.

My worst enemy in college was a girl who said she lost weight her freshman year. Don’t believe this girl if you meet her. Being set free from mom and dad means you now have the opportunity to eat what you want practically whenever you want it. Late night calls to Insomnia Cookies are expected, and when Ernie Davis dining hall has chicken tenders for lunch, you better believe it is a free for all. Just be careful with what you eat. Try to be mindful of what you have for each meal, and how much. This means pizza for breakfast probably isn’t the best idea.

6. Activities Day!

The first week of freshman year is kind of boring. You’re trying to find some friends, people to go to parties with, figure out your assignments, budget your money, and whether it’s worth going to class if you have to climb back up the mount. Believe it or not, activities day remedies some of these problems. It’s a bit daunting, really. Being a little freshman and going by yourself to these enthusiast clubs and groups can make anyone nervous. But rest assured, this is where you will not only find some of your people but also activities to participate in during the year! Syracuse has everything from magazine publications, acapella groups, theatre, sports, philosophy clubs, and so on! Even if you don’t end up joining the club or group, at least you will have met some people you connected with! So don't be scared of the entire student body being on the quad for a few days, you can do it!

7. Sports scene.

Syracuse, above its snow, is known for its sports. We are a proud fruit, as the Syracuse Orange. When you get to school, the goon squad will let you know at some point, and you will discover just how much you bleed orange. With the immense pride we have, it’s important to show that pride. Experiencing a basketball game at Syracuse is like nothing else. You’re surrounded by people with one love: their school; no matter where you’re from or what you do, you go to Syracuse University. The games are exciting, suspenseful, and all around fun. You learn traditions, including our school’s alma mater, and fun quirks we break out during the game. I’m not a sports person by any means, but when it comes to Syracuse sports, I would bleed orange for them any day.

8. Back out, don’t black out.

There is no shame in not wanting to go out every single night. Syracuse does have a reputation for it’s party atmosphere, but that doesn’t mean you have to live up to it. You have a lot going on freshman year, and remember, it’s your freshman year. You have time to go to parties, to drop it low, to whip, nae nae, whatever dance is popular at the time. Some of the best memories I made were the nights I stayed in, and stayed up until 2 a.m. watching a movie and talking with my friends. Especially in the winter, it’s not worth getting frost bite for a couple shots. And even if you do make it to a party, don’t go too hard. Know your limits. If you put a drink down and you feel like you might be sick, don’t think taking three more shots will make it better. Back out, don’t Black out.

9. Nothing good happens after 2 a.m.

The world isn’t the same at this time of night. Don’t stay out past 2 am. It’s a simple rule to follow. It doesn’t matter if it’s Thirsty Thursday, Freaky Friday, or Sloppy Saturday. When your phone says 1:45, you better get out of the frat and back to your dorm. Don’t stay out past 2 a.m.…just don’t.

10. Have fun.

Of course ending with the most generic and sappiest of keys to success was called for! You only get one freshman year, enjoy every moment. When you pack up your car at the end of the year to go home, don’t look back and have regrets. Look back with a tear in your eye, and orange pumping through your veins. Welcome to Syracuse, little oranges! We can’t wait to add you to our fruit basket!