Healthy, Not Obsessed | The Odyssey Online

If you’re anything like me, you eat a lot of crap. I eat too much pizza, too much ice cream, and make too many trips to Einstein for a bagel. And if you’re anything like me AND the rest of the world, this warm weather has you a little anxious about how you look with less clothing on.

Summertime obviously has its perks. Longer days, less responsibility, beach time, and time spent outside. But with it also comes fear. A little tiny nagging fear that the pizza is visible on your now-exposed body, or that your every move shows off that ice cream and bagels.

Fear not!! There’s still time to get yourself in better shape for summer. 

First, adopt simple little changes into your everyday life. There are obvious and easy ones, like taking the stairs at every opportunity or skipping that second cookie. But what about swapping water for soda and coffee? Liquid calories are a huge cause of weight loss, especially in college when binge drinking is at an all-time high. Did you know a single shot of vodka has 96 calories in it? Combined with the extra calories you tend to eat when you’re drunk, constant nights out can have serious effects on your waistline (and your health!).

Once you start making healthier habits a part of your routine, it’s time to incorporate some exercise. When the weather’s nice, there’s no excuse to stay inside. Get on a bike, go for a walk, play some football, whatever it takes. Any activity is better than sitting still. And if you have allergies or some kind of fear of the outdoors, take advantage of your on-campus gym. Bring friends to walk on the track and talk. Bring a book or magazine to the elliptical. Personally, I like to have a show on Netflix dedicated entirely to gym time. I only allow myself to watch it while doing cardio. So when I want to watch Scandal, I know I have to go to the gym to watch it.

But here’s the thing. When you think back to this summer, don’t allow yourself to focus on how you looked. Focus on the awesome things you did, people you met, and places you went. In 20 years, you won’t remember your weight. But you will remember if you chose to spend an entire summer obsessed with fitness. So work to be healthy, but don’t let it overcome you. Summertime is about more than tank tops and bikinis. It’s about ice cream and bagels too!