4 Tips for Healing After a History of Sexual Abuse | The Odyssey Online

4 Tips for Healing After a History of Sexual Abuse

Putting Sexual Abuse in the Past: 4 Healthy Self-Care Tips

8

Every year, tens of thousands of young children and adolescents are sexually abused. And as horrid as these isolated events may be, they leave a trail of psychological trauma for decades to come. Learning how to heal is paramount to living a happy life.

Sexual Abuse in America

Sexual abuse is far more common than most people realize – particularly those without any personal experience with the issue. According to Darkness to Light, an organization with the mission of raising awareness, funds, and support to end child sexual abuse, these are some of the sobering statistics on child abuse in America:

• 1 in 10 children will be sexually abused before the age of 18
  • 90 percent of child sexual abuse victims know their abuser
  • 1 in 7 child sexual abuse incidents perpetrated by juveniles occurs on school days
  • Of children who are sexually abused, 20 percent are abused before turning 8.
  • Only one-third of child sexual abuse incidents are ever identified
  • Just 4 to 8 percent of child sexual abuse reports are fabricated

As the numbers show, child sexual abuse isn't a small problem. It's something that affects millions of Americans every single year. And this means there are tens of millions of adult Americans dealing with the scars and wounds of sexual abuse from decades gone by.

4 Tips to Find Healing

If you're someone with a history of sexual abuse who hasn't been given the opportunity to deal with the atrocities against you, you should know that it's never too late to discover healing. Here are some practical steps you can take:

1.Speak With Qualified Professionals

"For many victims of sexual abuse as a child, the road to recovery is difficult," Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers explains. "Many victims live in silence and pain for years before they confide to anyone about their trauma. The emotional and psychological damage can affect all areas of their lives, from diminished focus in school to forging healthy relationships."

The first step is to speak with qualified professionals to help you process what you've been through and address some of the emotional issues that have spent years festering beneath the surface. A clinical psychologist or therapist is a good place to start. You may also find it helpful to hire an attorney to see if you still have any rights or legal recourse.

In some states, the statutes of limitation are being extended or removed to allow for legal action regardless of when the abuse took place. Never make any assumptions about your legal rights until speaking with an attorney.

2.Journal

You probably have more emotions built up inside your head than you realize. Tapping into them and letting them spill out can be a good thing – especially when done in a safe and controlled environment.

Find a creative outlet and use it to express your thoughts and feelings in a healthy way. Many people find journaling to be helpful.

"You might want to write something of your own. It doesn't have to be anything perfect or beautiful or for publication — just a rant in a blank document or email can get the feelings out," sex educator Lena Solow says.

If journaling isn't your thing, perhaps you'd find release in sketching, painting, sculpting, or some other form of art. It's all about finding what works for you.

3.Exercise

Don't underestimate the power of exercise to encourage psychological healing, relieve stress, and promote feelings of happiness and purpose. Half an hour of physical activity per day is the minimum recommendation. Anything above and beyond that can lead to even greater results (mentally and physically).

4.Learn to Release Guilt and Shame

The hardest part about recovering from a history of sexual abuse is learning how to release the guilt and shame that you feel. While a therapist can help you deal with the baggage that comes with your specific situation, it's important to not let your abuser continue to have a hold over you. It's easier said than done, but it's critical nonetheless.

Healing in the Midst of Pain

Healing doesn't mean forgetting, equalizing, or saying what was done to you in the past is okay. Instead, it's a decision to no longer let abuse define who you are and who you will become.

By proactively seeking healing in the midst of pain, you can discover the freedom that comes from living on your own terms.