"Head, Heart, Hands, Health"

"Head, Heart, Hands, Health"

To My Second Family: Thank You.

16
"Head, Heart, Hands, Health"

In the recent light of events that have taken a toll on my second family, I think this is a good time to share with you all the meaning behind the organization that I hold so close to my heart.

First I want anyone who is reading this to say a prayer for the wonderful Steiner family of Loreauville, LA. John, where do I begin? The night that I heard the terrible news of your passing I just couldn't help but to not believe it; You were so young, so precious, and to so many, it wasn't fair.

In the months following this tragedy I gained a new insight into the family I was so graciously accepted into my freshman year of high school, and that made me think of the pledge I had so easily memorized; the pledge that is known by so many of the future leaders of this country.

"I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living for my club, my community, my country, and my world."

These words mean so much to not only me, but hundreds of thousands nationwide. Raising livestock taught me so much about responsibility and how to be responsible for something other than myself, but it also taught me so many things about myself that I didn't know. Things like my love for animals, the ability to learn so much about those animals, but even things like stopping a 250lb pig from breaking through my legs and how to take a hit from an animal that weighs 10 times more than me.

These words have also taught me to be a smarter thinker, a more giving person, and to live a healthier lifestyle.

Through the 4-H program I have made some of the best friends anyone could ask for, and it even brought me the man of my dreams. I learned skills in public speaking, healthcare, and photography at the annual 4-H University that the state hosts for its members. Winning my medal felt like the greatest accomplishment of my life, and though I am still very proud of it, I am more proud of the things I learned from working so hard for that metal. I was able to see how great of a public speaker I am, how great of an amateur photographer I was, and how tough babysitting actually can become if things go wrong.

Because of the person this program helped me to be I was able to go confidently through rush, join a group of the most amazing women Lafayette has to offer, and give back to the charity that holds such a dear place in my heart.

I have learned to be selfless and for that I am thankful and forever grateful.

P.S.

To my little ones of Iberia Parish 4-H, I am so proud of the people you are all becoming. Watching you grow into the men and women who will shape the future has been a heartwarming experience. I want each of you to remember just how special the bond you hold with each other is, please don't ever let that bond go.