12 Things That Happen When You Have A Big Family | The Odyssey Online

12 Things That Happen When You Have A Big Family

The bigger the family, the bigger the crazy.

98
Michelle McClanahan

The holiday season is rapidly approaching. Along with holiday cheer, it means it is time for the annual family gatherings. For those of us blessed with large extended families, family gatherings can be a time of unparalleled joy and, inevitably, chaos. From the outside looking in, you can never quite understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never imagine life being any other way. Here are 12 things that will happen when you have a big family.

Family gatherings are a riot.

Literally. Figuratively. Family gatherings of 20 or more people tend to get a little crazy. Between the people and the noise, it’s hard to tell what is happening at any given moment. However, the loudest sound is usually that of laughter and overall merriment.

You make each other crazy.

No matter how much you love each other, large family gatherings tend to make everyone a little (or a lot) crazy. There is a never-ending stream of personalities and opinions that can’t help but clash at some point during the visit.

You always have your own person.

In every family, there are always enough people for you to have your own person. They become your confidante, partner in crime, and best friend. When you’re together, you are inseparable, and you cannot imagine a time where they weren’t your person.

There are never enough beds.

For some reason, everyone always tries to stay in one house. Hotels are out of the question. This means fighting over beds, couches and sections of carpet. As far as the eye can see, there is a field of blankets, pillows and bodies. It might seem like chaos, but it creates the perfect environment for all-night conversations with the people that mean the most.

You resemble a circus when you go out.

Inevitably, you have to accept the fact that going out in public with your family is a production. When you all arrive and pile out of cars, it looks like a circus has descended on the establishment. You warn the host, apologize to the townspeople, and unleash your family. So, yes, this is my circus, and those are my monkeys.

You are never alone.

Whether you like it or not, in a big family, you will never be alone. No matter the hour, there will always be someone to talk, laugh, and even cry with. For better or worse, your family is your support system, even if they make you crazy.

There is never enough time.

During the holidays, when everyone gathers in one place and you haven’t seen them in months, it never feels like there is enough time to spend together. You get so caught up in the activity and bustle that when it ends, you feel like it just started.

You learn how to coordinate large groups of people.

Anyone with a large family knows that a lot of work goes into coordinating family events. It takes a special kind of patience and ability to plan in order to get everyone together under one roof. Honestly, it should qualify as a skill you can list on your resumé.

There is always a ton of food.

Growing up with a large family, there is never a shortage of food at family events. Someone is always in the kitchen cooking something. Even if the refrigerator is overflowing with leftovers, more food helps you to be prepared to feed your circus.

You always have something to talk about.

Whether you’re talking about the silly thing your family member just did or what you’ve been up to for the last few months, there’s always something to talk about.

There is never a dull moment.

With that many people in one place, it is impossible to get bored. At the end of the day, there is never a dull moment spent with your family. Countless moments were spent joking, laughing, and just being together.

You experience unconditional love.

One thing I’ve learned from having a big family is that there is never a shortage of love. You might not get along all the time. You might not agree about much. You might not even like each other most days. But with so many people, there is never a shortage of love and support when it really matters. Spending time together always reminds you of how much you are loved.