"Hamilton": An American Musical | The Odyssey Online

"Hamilton": An American Musical

Alexander Hamilton Is Alive On Broadway

41
"Hamilton": An American Musical

It’s ninth period, in what could be my least favorite class, AP U.S. History. It isn’t the instructor of the course that I find sleep worthy, but rather the banal content that has been thrown into my psyche countless times before: King George sends troops, we win the war, George Washington becomes the President, etc. Today was, perhaps, one of the most cliche American history lessons. “Today’s lesson is on the federal reserve, a system created by Alexander Hamilton...” The phosphorescent overhead lights begin to dwindle down to stars as my eyelids blanket my vision. I wake up four years later, in the “room where it happens.”

In front of me is Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson rap battling it out over whether the state government or the Federal government should hold more power. I am at the edge of my seat, by a lesson that I have possibly snoozed through three to four times. How is this possible? How is United States history so freaking cool? Well, for one, we ain’t in high school anymore but in the Richard Rodgers Theatre watching Lin-Manuel Miranda’s masterpiece, "Hamilton," come to life.

Yes, this is "Hamilton," the musical you have heard all so much about. But why all the hub bub? Why do thousands of people wait outside the theater every night for the lottery, and why has President Obama come to see it – not once, but two times. To start, it is important to take note of the cast and their mission.

The cast, ranging from Looking’s own Jonathan Groff to the man of the hour himself, Lin-Manuel Miranda, playing the lead he created, is deeply invested in this story. Rewriting the history books, and demonstrating how a poor immigrant – a founding father who is commonly overlooked – was one of, if not the most important individuals in the creation of our government. However, these people are not only rewriting history but claiming a history some cast members felt previously alienated from as their own.

One cast member described her experience as difficult when looking back upon history. Riddled with slavery and general abuse, American history is occasionally seen as something difficult to swallow. Although, now the cast is able to climb into the roles of our founding fathers and truthfully rewrite history. The cast is an accurate representation of the world today: reflecting the many ethnic backgrounds of the United States. However, "Hamilton’s" cast isn't the only diverse thing within the musical.

The reason "Hamilton" works so well is that the music accurately represents what is happening in the music industry. The pop, rap, hip hop, and electronic melodies create an all-encompassing experience that makes history fun – and, more importantly, emotional. The historical stories you once thought were trite and lifeless, now have a heartbeat. This is the real reason "Hamilton" soars. With choruses that become motifs placed with genius within rhymes, an audience member is able to put themselves in the mental psyche of the founding fathers.

The ninth period bell rings and my eyelids slowly let the light bleed in. I have slept through yet another American history class. My mind tells me to “wait for it.” Someday you will understand, someday.