A Girl's Guide to Dorm Room Decoration | The Odyssey Online

A Girl's Guide to Dorm Room Decoration

64
A Girl's Guide to Dorm Room Decoration

Ready or not, here it comes. Move in day is just around the corner, and for people like me, the day brings more excitement than dread. I couldn’t care less about having to pack up all of my belongings (again), lug them to campus, and carry them up (thankfully only one flight of) stairs.

It's a new year with a new dorm room and a new chance to decorate.

That’s my favorite part. The decorations.

I am without a doubt the girl who trolled Pinterest before my freshman year began, making lists upon lists of cute ideas that I wanted to try out. This year, I know what works, and while I have a few new posters and memory boxes to add to the walls, I’m so ready to completely deck out my new room.

Pictures are a girl’s go-to decoration.

But it’s how you organize your pictures that is most important. My personal preference is the clothesline method, which prevents you from going insane whilst trying to make sure everything you tape to the walls is straight.

You can print pictures at Walmart for 9 cents a print, and while you are there, pick up some command hooks, string, and clothespins. The rest is easy.

Also, remember that the pictures you print don’t just have to be of you and your friends and family. You can scroll through Tumblr and save some of your favorite artsy quotes or shirtless pictures of Liam Payne and Justin Bieber. Those will look just as great on your walls.

You will need more light.

Buy 12 sets of string lights and hang them everywhere. Drape them alongside your clotheslines of pictures, around your desk, against the wall of your lofted bed, and under your futon. At the very least, it will create a de-stressing ambience.

If you don’t have overhead lights in your room, lamps are important. Not just one, or two. My roommate and I had four floor lamps and our room was never depressing and dreary like some of my friends’.

Desk lamps are also vital to your happiness, especially if your roommate decides to go to sleep at 8 p.m. when you still have a paper to finish.

Buy a fish or a plant.

It’s way homier to have something to take care of, and it’s not that much work.

My fish, Sharkbait, has been alive for nearly a year. He’s the most well traveled fish in the world, as I was constantly taking him home over breaks, and he will soon move into my new dorm with me as well.

Use real mugs, real plates, real bowls, etc.

Doing dishes is better than constantly eating off of paper products. What's homey about that?

Loft your beds and get a futon.

It’s just necessary. You will want somewhere to sit other than your bed or your desk chair, and lofting your beds will open up a ton of space in your room.

Then cover your futon with a soft blanket and lots of pillows.

Or do what I did and buy a four-foot teddy bear. Whatever you do, make it comfortable. Futons aren’t always super welcoming, and the leather can be cold. Make it a place you will want to sit and know you’ll be comfortable.

Buy a wall decal.

Just make sure it isn’t something super cheesy like, “Live every moment, laugh every day, love beyond words."

Real carpet is the way to go.

Instead of getting a way-too-small rug for the center of your room, hit up a furniture store and ask to see their carpet scraps. You’ll likely find a piece that is big enough to cover the majority of your room for less than $100. I promise it’s worth the investment.

Hang both yours and your roommate's schedule in the room.

It doesn’t even have to be pretty; you can just print out your schedules from the website, or you can make a fancy dry-erase paint swatch schedule. Either way, it will be nice to know where each other is and when you have the room to yourself.

Colorful bedspreads make all the difference.

Check out Urban Outfitters. Their bed-in-a-bag comes with a comforter, sheets, and pillowcases, and they’re cute and cozy, too.

Hang up a poster or two.

Favorite band? Favorite movie? Whatever your heart desires. I already know both Bieber and 1D will be hanging up in our room this year.

A lap desk will be your college best friend.

I’m pretty sure they are specifically made for doing homework on your futon.

Finally, liven up your bookshelf.

If it’s only filled with schoolbooks, it’s going to look depressing. Grab some of your favorite magazines and novels and take them to school with you. Stack them with a few picture frames and revel in your ability to make a Pottery Barn worthy bookshelf.