God Gave Me Roses

God Gave Me Roses

It is time to stop and smell them.

69
God Gave Me Roses
Garden Guides

We live in a world that is constantly dictated by time, and not just any time but a fast moving, never slowing time. We run from place to place: meetings, school, parties, sports. We take short cuts, we plan months ahead, and we pick up meals through fast food drive-thru windows. We schedule and unschedule, and we almost have to pen in times to grocery shop or shower. Do I think it is wrong or bad to live on a fast moving and planned schedule? No! Of course not! But what do you do when God asks you to stop what you are doing, breathe, and smell the roses?

Psalm 46:10 "He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.'"

This past year has been one of the busiest of my life. My life became a massive schedule of events and I began to run on autopilot. I was like a robot, moving through it all but not really focusing on my emotions or tasks at hand. I realized that I was moving with the beat of my own drum and that drum was race car fast. I was flying through the motions of everyday life, trying to get from one meeting to the next. I was not truly enjoying the life God was providing for me, let alone thanking Him for it. My purpose was being skewed by my lack of patience and inability to slow down. I was constantly making checklists in my head of what needed to be done next. I couldn't focus in class, church, or meetings. I became the walking dead, moving but not living. Until God gave me roses.

Stop and smell

Everyone knows the old saying, "You should stop and smell the roses." The saying means slow down and take the time to enjoy the life you are given. Most importantly give thanks for the life provided. That was something that I hadn't been doing until God stuck the roses right under my nose and told me to just breathe. In this case, I do not mean literal roses. The rose God gave me was energy. Energy at 4:45 a.m. I remember waking up naturally and feeling anxious about the day in front of me (my day would start at 6:30 a.m. and not finish until about 10:00 p.m.). I was thinking of classes and meetings that I was going to have to attend and decided that I should try and sleep a little more. However, due to stress, it wasn't working. I decided to try and rid myself of tension by going for a run. It was about 45 degrees outside and dark but I felt extremely determined to get my mind to relax. I started for outside and headed towards campus. It was one of the best decisions I have made.

Just Be Still

The cold chill felt great on my face, I felt light and campus was empty and beautiful at this time. As I was running, I was listening to a Christian station on my phone and the song "Be Still" by the Fray came on. "Be still and know that I'm with you, be still and know that I am here" started playing and I felt so overwhelmed with understanding and relief. I understood that God was saying, "Slow down. I am here. You are not running through life alone." I knew He was telling me that I could give it all to Him and I was relieved because the Holy Spirit put peace and happiness in me at such an early time. It was incredibly eye opening. I was smelling the roses. I was smelling what God was giving me and I was thanking Him for allowing me to find bliss so early in the morning. How ironic it was that God needed me to run in order to learn to stop so he could take control of my chaotic life.

28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" Matthew 11: 28:30.

From that experience, I have learned to stop and appreciate what the Lord is doing in my life. He reminded me that I am not moving through life alone and that it is okay because He will help carry my burdens of the day. I see how full my plate is, I hand it over and I ask God to help me truly live and see the joy in his everlasting love. I am also noticing the small roses God lays at my feet. It may be solid scripture that comes at the perfect time, an unrushed cup of coffee, a whole day of rest, time spent with family or friends, or a rainy morning. God has shown me to appreciate this life, to slow down, and to take time to rest.

So I challenge you: stop, breathe, and smell the roses. What are you struggling to control and what are you speeding through? Your roses are unique and perfectly grown to fit you and the message God is providing. See what God is putting in front of you and try to not overlook it. You will see so much grace and beauty from it. And remember, "This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" Psalm 118:24.