It’s Time to be #UNselfie on Giving Tuesday this Year

50
Mobile Cause

Thanksgiving is a day charmed with grateful families, whereas the subsequent two American traditions of Black Friday and Cyber Monday transform the holiday spirit.

Although no one is saying it is wrong to spend every last penny on the latest flat-screen TV or a new wardrobe, American materialism paradoxically takes over the commercial sector in the days following a celebration of gratitude and appreciation.

This year, after waiting in line for hours at the Apple store and then buying everything you missed online, consider the recently created altruistic tradition: Giving Tuesday.

In its fourth year, #GivingTuesday has become a social media powered philanthropy campaign where companies, non-profits, families and individuals can give back to their national or local communities in a season fueled by gifts and consumerism.

Giving Tuesday was created in 2012 by 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation as a response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

On December 1, more than 30,000 partners will raise money for causes deemed important by non-profits organizations, government agencies, corporations, and communities. Though Thanksgiving and the following consumer days are American-based, the campaign has expanded in the past four years to over 68 countries.

Sharing on social media drives the philanthropy efforts, and the campaign is usually written with the hashtag #GivingTuesday in order to spread content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Last year, Giving Tuesday raised an estimated $34.9 million through online donation platforms and an additional $10.8 million from offline campaigns. The $45.7 million total for the social sector was a 240 percent increase from the amount raised on the first Giving Tuesday in 2012.

A few organizations that raised a notable amount of money in 2014 are Camp Kesem with $33,000 raised, Feeding America with 140,000 raised, and CureSearch for Children’s Cancer with 18,758 raised. Each of these organizations engaged thousands of people across the country through social media.

So how can you participate?

One of the main ways to show support for a non-profit or company on Giving Tuesday is by posting a #UNselfie picture. On a piece of paper, simply write the name of the organization, and why you are choosing to donate. Then, take a selfie holding the paper, and post it on social media using the hashtag.

You can look through the thousands of #unselfie posts on Instagram to get a better idea of what to write!

The UNselfie movement is definitely a step in the right direction for our generation and is something everyone should be involved in on this Giving Tuesday.

Also, time and money are equally valuable, and it is possible to give money or sign up for volunteer hours online.

Be unselfie on Giving Tuesday, and donate to make a change in the world!