Geocaching: The Original And Far Superior Pokemon Go | The Odyssey Online

Geocaching: The Original And Far Superior Pokemon Go

Just imagine that Bulbasaurs are tupperware containers and iPhones are GPS units.

20
Johan Larsson

In an age where Pokemon Go has taken off faster than you can say "Pikachu," it seems like everyone and their grandmother is obsessed with the idea of a hybrid universe in which the mundane is made more exciting by the inclusion of fictitious elements. While chasing Bulbasaurs across the street in oncoming traffic may provide a fleeting rush of adrenaline, people are disregarding a superior, longer-established activity that solves this same niche desire: geocaching.

For those of you who have no idea what this bizarre word means, geocaching is often described as a real-world treasure hunt and, much like Pokemon Go, also incorporates thrilling, unexpected components into the world around us.

Through the geocaching app or website, users can access GPS coordinates and hints to help them locate different caches, or treasure boxes, around the world. Once within a certain distance of the cache, geocachers rely on reasoning, problem-solving and optional hints to locate the exact coordinates of the cache. Caches typically contain a sign-in sheet along with random trinkets and items free for the taking, as long as the geocacher replaces what they remove with something new.

Geocaching has been around since the beginning of the twenty-first century, long before the recent burst in geographically-focused apps such as Pokemon Go. Caches can be located anywhere from an underwater scuba dive in the Adriatic Sea to an eye-level perch in the tree outside one's house. While most people find that the nearest geocache is never unreasonably far away, geocachers can also create and plant caches and submit them online for others to find if they want more caches in a certain area.

Geocaching has a lot to offer that Pokemon Go does not. Geocaching can be a fun bonding experience with family or friends, as it requires teamwork and joint brainpower to locate the caches, instead of everyone individually glued to a phone screen. Geocaching also allows you to explore new places while traveling, as caches are typically planted by locals and therefore provide visitors with an opportunity to see less touristy and more authentic spots in a given region. Beyond this, while Pokemon Go also gets users outside and exploring, geocaching calls upon problem-solving and reasoning abilities that make it a fun and rewarding intellectual challenge as well. Lastly, geocaches are planted by ordinary people who like mystery and excitement, and solving clues to find a hidden treasure that has been placed by someone just like you offers a much more personalized experience.

At the end of the day, while Pokemon Go is undeniably fun and exciting, let's not forget about geocaching, a true pioneer in the industry that arguably offers greater challenges and rewards to its participants around the world.