Friendship Ended Suddenly

To the Friendship I Ruined After Three Weeks

I still don't know what I did, but I'm sorry.

93
https://unsplash.com/photos/jk8rarn6lmw
Ian Schneider

Relationships fall out. It's a part of life. It's no secret that when a friendship doesn't last, there's a clear reason why. Someone wronged the other person. They grew apart after a long time and staying friends wasn't helping either one of them grow. They had literally nothing in common. While these reasons are all pain-inducing in their own ways, there's certainly something shocking, confusing, and hurtful when a friendship seems to be going in a great direction and then ends out of nowhere with no explanation whatsoever. That's what I'm here to write about today.

So, without further ado, to the friendship I ruined after three weeks, I still have no idea what I did, but I'm sorry. I know that it must have been something that I did, because I certainly wasn't the one that cut off contact. In your eyes, was I coming on too strong? Maybe I was, and personally, it's a little hard for me to see it that way, and maybe that's why it hurts.

I know I can't dictate other people's emotions about how situations play out, but I'm genuinely curious as to why something that seemed so good suddenly took a turn for the worst.

One minute we're doubled over in laughter over the dumbest things and swapping hilarious stories, and the next minute you stop answering my texts and never make any attempt to contact me first. I'm not saying you're not entitled to ending a friendship that you don't want, but I don't get what warranted quietly ending a friendship that didn't have any problems.

I'm not entitled to closure. And that's fine. I'll live. Still, it'd be nice to know. I'm not upset because we grew apart, I'm upset because we knew each other for barely a month and everything seemed to be going fine. There was no indication that you didn't want to be friends until you stopped texting me back and made it a point to not approach me at the events that we were both at.

There are so many thoughts going through my mind, and a lot of them are along the lines of how I'm not entitled an explanation and I shouldn't care anyway.

But I do care, whether I'm supposed to or not.

I care because we had a lot in common. I care because we both had a genuinely good time when we hung out, even though we really only got to see each other a couple of times. I care because the way things were going, I really, truly thought I'd have a close friend in a place where I felt like I was having trouble connecting with people at the time. But you didn't know that, and even if you did, it's still not your responsibility to think about my feelings if that's not what you want to do.

So, if things continue the way they do, we're probably not going to gain back whatever we had going, even though what we had going was just a really fun couple of times hanging out. And whatever it could have been is gone. I get that. I accept it. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt sometimes. But if you ever decide to hit me up one day, I'll be here.