11 Struggles Of Being An Only Child | The Odyssey Online

11 Struggles Of Being An Only Child

For those who have always longed for a sibling

37
11 Struggles Of Being An Only Child
S-Media

Even though being an only child definitely has its perks, there are some struggles that come along with it. I have been incredibly blessed by being an only child. I mean, I have taken several vacations with my family, went to a private school for 13 years and have received an incredible college education. These are all things that probably would not have been possible if I wasn't an only child. But I have always wanted siblings -- an older brother or sister to sort of look after me in a way. Thankfully, I have a lot of cousins who make up for that! Here are five things an only child struggles with.

1. Not having anyone to blame your wrongdoing on.

Even though this kind of sucks, it helps you later in life, because accepting responsibility for your wrongdoing is important in life. One time I accidentally broke my mom’s juicer, and I ended up having to pay for part of it. I didn’t get to “split” the blame with a sibling; I had to pay for my fair share of my wrongdoing.

2. Having to make friends while you’re on vacation because you don't have a buddy to hang out with while your parents go to cousin Ann’s “no kids allowed” wedding reception.

Even though it sucked not having a buddy on vacation, it forced me to get out of my comfort zone and make new friends!

3. When you have to play with barbies by yourself, and you have to play the role of both Ken and Barbie.

4. Always having to be the one to text for mom while she is driving.

5. Having no one to watch the Disney Channel Games with when all of your friends are out of town.

6. Playing monopoly with only three people... boring!

You literally cannot even buy any properties when you’re playing with three people.

7. Everyone assumes that you’re a spoiled brat, and you sort of are, but not in a mean way. I mean, it’s not your fault.

Yes, you have a Wii, an American Girl doll, a Barbie Jeep, a million barbies, 10,000 Webkinz, a Gameboy, several Beanie Babies, a Bratz scooter, an Easy Bake Oven, hundreds of games and a $50 fake ponytail... but it’s not your fault -- you didn’t ask for this.

8. You’ve had your fair share of odd babysitters over the years.

One of my babysitters let me go play outside, but only for 10 minutes -- and I had to stay in the front yard...

9. Having to go on bike rides alone.

When you’re by yourself on a bike ride as a kid, and mom’s rule is that you can only go around the court...

10. Putting on a one­-woman show for your relatives, and they cheer you on no matter how silly it is!

11. When all of your friends are complaining about their siblings and you're just sitting there like:

With all due respect to my parents, being an only child can be rough and boring at times, but it is truly a blessing to be an only child. I wouldn’t be as close with my parents if I wasn’t only child; I probably wouldn’t be getting the awesome college education that I getting now; and I wouldn’t have incredible memories to hold onto from those amazing vacations that were definitely not cheap. To conclude I want to thank my mom and dad for everything they do for me, and God for allowing me to be so incredibly blessed.