Films To Watch During Black History Month And Beyond | The Odyssey Online

Films To Watch During Black History Month And Beyond

The black experience in America.

21
http://www.rolereboot.org/

February is Black History Month. This is the month where we celebrate the history and culture of the Africans who were brought to the Americas and their journey and struggle to live their lives as citizens. February is a short month, however, educating oneself on black American history doesn't end in just a month. Black history can be celebrated beyond February but, because it is more recognized this month, I feel that it is essential to write something about —and dedicated to, and for—Black American history.

So, I decided to put together a list of films about the history and experience of being black in America. The following films can be found on Netflix. There are also tons and tons of films about black Americans not just limited to these films. There are more on Netflix and even in cinemas or on video for you to check out and learn from.

"Amistad"

In 1839 a slave ship, La Amistad, is seized under the control of the slaves in captivity resulting in a legal battle after their capture off the coast of Cuba. It stars Morgan Freeman, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, and Anthony Hopkins.

Rated: R

"Lee Daniels' The Butler"

Cecil Gaines (Forest Whitaker) is hired as a butler in the White House where he serves over the course of three decades and experiences first-hand American history such as the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War.

Rated: PG-13

"African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross"

A PBS six- part series written and presented by Harvard scholar, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. that tells the full trajectory of African American history across five centuries beginning with the slavery in Africa to present day America.

Rated: TV-PG

"The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975"

A Swedish documentary film that explores the Black Power movement from 1967-1975.

Rated: NR

"Through a Lens darkly: Black Photographers and the Emergence of a People"

A documentary that examines how photography has affected the lives black Americans.

Rated: TV-PG

"Freedom"

A slave ( Cuba Gooding Jr.) runs away with his family in 1856 and learns about his ties to a sea captain (Bernhard Forcher) who brought his grandfather on a slave ship to America in 1748.

Rated: R

"Night Catches Us"

An ex-Black Panther returns to his hometown for the funeral of his father and reconnects with the widow of a Panther leader he is blamed to be responsible for killing.

Rated: R

"Dark Girls"

A documentary that explores the prejudices and deep-seated bias of dark- skinned women in and out Black American culture.

Rated: TV-PG

"The Trials of Muhammad Ali"

A documentary about the boxer, Muhammad Ali, fight against a five- year prison sentence after refusing to serve the U.S. in Vietnam.

Rated: TV-PG

"The Long Walk Home"

Miriam Thompson (Sissy Spacek) decides to drive her nanny, Odessa Carter (Whoopi Goldberg) to work every day when Odessa refuses to take the bus as a participant in the Montgomery bus boycott.

Rated: PG