5 Films That Should Have Been Nominated For Best Picture At The Golden Globes

5 Films That Should Have Gotten Golden Globes Nominations

Hopefully the Oscars will pick up the slack.

75

These movies should not have been left off the list.

1. Sorry to Bother You

"Sorry to Bother You" follows the story of Cassius Green, a telemarketer who finds himself having bitten off more than he can chew at his new job. It explores the flaws of capitalism through rather overt metaphors. It received universal critical acclaim for its exploration of morality and critique of modern day capitalism. Though it is a bit slow and it takes a pretty hard left turn about halfway through, it's worthy of being recognized as one of the years best films.

2. Boy Erased

"Boy Erased" is one of those anomalies where the lead in the film is nominated for best actor or actress but the film itself isn't nominated for best picture. Lucas Hedges has a strange history with awards, having been nominated for an Academy Award for his role in "Manchester by the Sea," but not a Golden Globe. He certainly earned his first Golden Globe nomination with this film.

3. Beautiful Boy

"Beautiful Boy" is yet another film where a lead, Timothée Chalamet, was nominated but the film itself was left out. It's a story about a father trying to cope with his son's addiction to methamphetamine. Obviously, it's a tear jerker. Critics praised it for showing an accurate portrayal of addiction. Steve Carell and the rest of the cast all did a fantastic job and are deserving of more praise than they got.

4. Isle of Dogs

This one is probably the most surprising on the list. It's surprising because it's a Wes Anderson film. It seems like every time that guy spit out some weird, new, pastel-colored, bundle of symbolism, people want to throw as many awards at it as they can. "Isle of Dogs" had a ridiculously star-studded cast, and spent years in production, as most claymation films do. It just seems like an awful lot was poured into it for it to come away with nothing this awards season.

5. Eighth Grade

"Eighth Grade" is even another film where the lead was nominated for best actress, but the film was left off the list of nominees for best picture. Elsie Fisher absolutely deserves the nomination. The performance that she gave depicting an awkward middle-schooler was extraordinary. It's a film that everyone can relate to and causes most viewers to feel and remember things that they haven't thought about in a long time. For a directorial debut, Bo Burnham blew this one out of the water.