4 Films To Help You Get Over the Post-Holiday Blues | The Odyssey Online

4 Films To Help You Get Over the Post-Holiday Blues

Combating "glum" with film.

79

Christmas has come and gone, New Year’s Eve has passed, and we are now officially out of the holiday season. For many people, this is a gloomy time of year, with the thrill of festivities long gone and replaced by the anxieties of regular life.

This is your horrifying reminder that you will have work on Monday.

Thankfully, though, there’s, at least, one way to fight off the post-holiday blues. So, without further ado, here are four upbeat films that can help you get through the slog that is January.

1. "Summer Wars"

"Summer Wars" is an endearing animated film directed by Mamoru Hosoda and animated by Studio Madhouse. The film follows a math genius who, under the false pretense of being her boyfriend, spends the summer with a girl and her family. Things go well until a computer program goes haywire, threatening to end civilization as we know it.

Because things can never be easy, can they?

Despite the involved plot, the real star of the show here is the family and how its members interact. Even in the face of potential global peril, there’s something uniquely heartwarming about this family. Even when they bicker, you can tell that they care about each other and only have the best of intentions.

Cute Interactions: The Movie

Oh, and its animation is gorgeous. Did I mention that yet?

Studio Madhouse makes the prettiest moving pictures.

2. "Kung Fury"

I won’t lie to you; "Kung Fury" is not an intelligent film. It's an intelligently made film perhaps, but the film itself is a glorious, half-hour explosion of '80s silliness.

"Kung Fury" follows its protagonist, a kung-fu practicing cop, as he travels back in time to kill Adolf Hitler. Believe me, when I say that, as far as this film goes, that’s some of the tamer content.

Your eyes do not deceive you. That is indeed a kung-fu cop fighting an arcade machine in space. Just go with it.

It’s a love letter to bad '80s action films and its tongue is planted firmly in its cheek. "Kung Fury" is a raucous, action-packed ride that is guaranteed to slap a smile on your face.

Or karate chop a smile onto your face.

3. "The Lego Movie"

Now, here’s a film that I’m sure that most of you have already seen.

If you haven’t, "The Lego Movie" takes place in a world made entirely of Legos. One construction worker, named Emmet, accidentally gets wrapped up in a prophecy to save the world from the evil Lord Business.

Silliness and epic adventure promptly ensue.

Two things make "The Lego Movie" stand out above the crowd. First, the animation lovingly recreates the visuals of stop-motion movies made with Lego figures.

When you can’t tell if its CGI or stop-motion, then they’ve done their job well.

Second, the film is overwhelmingly endearing in terms of its message. The film deconstructs the idea of heroes being dramatic, powerful characters. Instead, it posits that anyone is special enough to be a hero. It’s funny, upbeat, and an all-around feel-good film.

Everything is awesome, indeed.

4. "The Shawshank Redemption"

Like "The Lego Movie," "The Shawshank Redemption" is one of those really important films that is universally loved. Make no mistake, it can be a rough film to get through at times. The film follows prisoners Red and Andy Dufresne during their time in prison.

Let’s be real, though, Morgan Freeman always cheers us up.

The film is, at heart, about the endurance of hope in overwhelming circumstances. As we see Andy and Red succeed, even among all of the fear and hate, we can’t help but feel some hope ourselves.

Hope’s a dangerous thing…

That’s one reason why "The Shawshank Redemption" has succeeded for so long. It puts us in a good mood. Even if the post-holiday blues are getting you down, how can you feel bad when you see Andy and Red overcome each challenge before them?

So, are you still feeling down? Check out one of these films. Who knows? You might feel better before you know it.