What Falling In Love Feels Like | The Odyssey Online

What Falling In Love Feels Like

My personal description of how it feels

13
What Falling In Love Feels Like
Alexander M Hernandez

My personal depiction of how falling in love has been feeling to me. Through the eyes of a young man who is dealing with life one day at a time.

When one sits alone in a hollow room thinking only to themselves. The world that we have come to know as ourselves is so tame and still. It almost feels as if everything has stopped and nothing matters. Yet through this stall, we find the ability to try. The strength to stand up and maybe hope for another tomorrow or a different start to today.

Then it happens. You are sitting there in your own little world completely unaware of what is going on around you. She steps in front of you, tall, brilliant, and kind in the eyes. She smiles a little and says hello. Just then the walls around you start to fall and crumble. The light breaks through and the winds pick up in a violent uproar. Your chest tightens up as the floor tiles start to drop into the void of your mind. You gasp for air as what was once your world is now falling to pieces but from across the void on a small red chair is her. She looks up at you with a small smile and laughs at you as the crumbling imagination around you does not seem to faze her.

You desire to cry out to her but you know she will not hear her so you simply stare. She takes her body from the chair and slowly walks across the nothing that is there. Every step causing the void to form a stone that stays in place from where she was. You look up as she now stands before you with her smile, and she kneels down to look at you. Her eyes deep blue water crafting waves that find themselves crashing into a still-beating heart. Her hand slowly reaches out and finds the home on your shoulder and with this, the winds begin to fade. Air once again takes shelter in your lungs and you can feel the ground benighted you.

In that single moment, the world around you is different. Though still broken and misshaped by the events of the past it once again starts to feel like the world you have always known. The ground feels sturdy even though it cannot be seen. The walls block the storms even though the void goes on for miles. It becomes too unreal that you push her away. You stand up and use that restored air to scream at her. Her smile turns to tears as you blame her for the happiness. You blame her for allowing you to feel the world again. You scream and you shout until all there is left to do is cry.

“You’re hurt,” she says in her voice that makes the grandest of choirs sound as if they never once practiced a day.

As you slowly look up at her with your tear stained eyes the world stops and the future begins.