FAQs & Answers: A Liberty University Student Tells All | The Odyssey Online

FAQs & Answers: A Liberty University Student Tells All

I'm so excited to go home!

385
Liberty University

It’s roughly two weeks until Liberty students return to their home away from home, from their summer adventures and I am already getting excited. While everyone in grade school is begrudgingly dragging their feet back to classes and homework, college students like me are chomping at the bit. To high school students, this will sound crazy. To fellow returning students, this is spot on. Let me answer some frequently asked questions about returning to Liberty and set the record straight on the awesomeness that is the post-high school educational career so that our parents and high school friends understand that we are possessed by a logical craziness.

1. Why do college students like school?

So we’re not exactly excited for all of school. An English major will never be happy about midnight math homework that almost went forgotten. A computer engineer will still grumble over having to read a Shakespeare play. But there are many fantastic things about college: classes with great professors, our favorite speaker at Convo, and cookies and cream ice cream at the Rot are just a few examples.

2. What's so great about returning to Liberty though?

Firstly, Liberty is just a fantastic school in general. We have great clubs, lit football games, and plenty of cool speakers. But Liberty is especially fantastic because the spirit of God lives on our campus. Now I’m sure He’s present on many college campuses, but His presence is particularly potent on LU’s campus. You just breathe and know He’s with you and that feeling has us dying to come back.

3. Do you actually want to go to Convo?

The short answer is “sometimes.” Freshmen show up bright-eyed and excited for Convo their first year, pumped for people like Tim Hawkins and artists like Rend Collective. Returners know that not every Convo is incredibly moving and cry-worthy. Yes, we have a great worship band that can put you right in the throne room with Jesus, but sometimes you don’t want to hear the head of the NRA get upset about people who have a different view of gun control than him. Overall, though, worshiping our Savior and hearing from a variety of speakers who want to help us grow is cool.

4. But aren't communal bathrooms gross?!

Some of my friends are going to schools where even freshmen only have to share their bathroom with one person and they’re immensely satisfied. I share that even though I’ll be a sophomore I have a communal bathroom and they’re shocked. Except they never seem to listen to my answer to their question: they’re not gross. Liberty sends people to clean every day, we’re grown-ups who know how to clean up after ourselves, and it’s actually fun to see three of your friends on the way to the shower.

5. Have you gotten into your major yet?

Apparently you’re supposed to have decided your major and finished half of it by your second year. Wait-I’m not? People are just abundantly curious? I see. Well, although I have picked my major and narrowed down what I want to do with it (I’ve got three careers to pick from), I really haven’t gotten into my major yet. Depending on how many AP classes we’ve taken we might be a class or two in, but with all the gen ed’s we have to take, you really should stop asking and consider all the math, Bible classes, and other things we have to take first.

6. Are you keeping your meal plan?

I’m not sure why everyone is so interested in my eating habits, but I do know that Liberty has one of the best dining halls in the country, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I’m keeping Freedom Dining. For a $50 extra I can even use my ten special swipes at places where I would normally have to use Flames Cash, like Chick-fil-a and Starbucks.

7. Do you have a job?

Most freshmen refrain from having jobs as they adjust to college, but as soon as that summer break hits, it’s like all of us rising sophomores are expected to have fall semester jobs lined up. I’m thankful that God has provided me with a work study position, but that’s not everyone’s goal, so this is another maybe-don’t-ask-them-again question. Liberty has plenty of places to work, but for someone taking 18 credit hours that might not be an option.

8. Have they finished the back of DeMoss?

We’ve been waiting for them to finish the back expansion of DeMoss for years, so I’m very excited to say that the answer is YES. DeMoss has been beautifully completed with new places to eat, a great bowling alley, and more room for the ever-increasing student population. I can’t wait to study in front of that wall of glass, a lawn and the completed music building keeping me calm as I try not to die during math.

9. What classes are you taking?

Have I set my schedule already? Yes. Can I remember all the different classes I’m taking without pulling up said schedule? No. I know I’m going to have to wake up way too early to take ancient literature, but not everyone can just list all sixteen credit hours that they’re taking. Maybe ask us what classes we’re excited for. We’ll probably remember those better.

10. What do you think about Jerry endorsing Trump?

It’s literally been half a year since Mr. Trump spoke at our Convocation and Jerry endorsed him, but I still get asked this question. It has nothing to do with the upcoming school year, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t curious, so now I have to talk about politics again. Honestly, Jerry is a grown man. If he wants to endorse Trump, he can. He has solid reasons, which I respect him for, and I respect Trump as an individual as well because Jesus told me to love everyone and so I try to love and respect everyone. But if I’m being completely honest, I care more about what Coffeehouse video Jerry’s going to show up in then what he said at the RNC.

11. What are you most looking forward to?

This is my favorite question because I am looking forward to everything. Using my brain again, even for the awfulness that is math homework (hey, I’m an English major), is going be great. Seeing my friends is going to be epic. Starting my new job is going to be awesome. Worshiping in Convo is going to rock. If I listed everything I was looking forward to, I would have a list five pages long.

College is an incredible place with incredible people and like many of my fellow returners, I can’t wait to go back. I hope my answering these questions helps parents and friends understand their crazy Flames a little better and remember that although we’re leaving you, we’re going to the only place better than home and Disney World: Liberty.