The 7 Family Roles Your Friend Group Takes On

Your friends have become so close that they now resemble your family. Hey mom is that you?

1868

After time, we have formed our close knit group of friends. We have found "our people," the people we can always count on, the people to make us laugh, and the people to keep us in check with reality. In a sense, they have become your family especially for those of us in college miles away from our own family. So it doesn't come as a shock to me when after awhile these friends start to resemble your family in drastic ways, let's consider this.

1. The Mom

There is always one friend out of the friend group who resembles the mom. It really doesn't matter if this person is male or female because I've seen the mom come through in both. This is the friend out of the group who does the cleaning, hovers over everyones safety, you go to them for words of comfort just like you would go to your own mom. It's a crucial role and the stability that every friend group needs.

2. The Dad

This is the friend that doesn't hover as much as the mom and is less responsible. They take on the whole, "just do what you want” approach to things. Except, when things are about to hit the ceiling and everyone is getting a little too rowdy and absurd this friend is definitely the person who shuts that shit down. They have a scariness too them that everyone listens to. They are also fiercely loyal and will protect you in every sense of the word.

3. The Cool Aunt

This is the friend in the group that is good at “adulting” when necessary, but chooses not to too often. They’re the person you go to when a problem needs to be solved that you don’t want ‘the mom’ in the friend group to know about until after it’s resolved. They’re likely to indulge in the activities that the mom in the friend group wouldn’t, which is probably what makes them so cool.

4. The “Where the Hell is He?” Uncle

To put it lightly, this is the friend that often disappears at random times, sometimes for extended periods of time. The person in your friend group that is suppose to show up for planned dinners or do grocery shopping with but when you call to see if they’re ready, they’re in the other town over doing some other shopping. Sometimes they can be the sketchy friends, but always lovable and loyal.

5. The Troublemaker (aka The Rebellious Teenager)

This is the friend out of the friend group who causes ‘the mom’ anxiety anytime they take five steps out the door. They get into situations that are absurd and can stir any pot they come across. They’re the friends you go to on Sunday morning if you want to hear a story or two. If you can think of a friend who has a laisez-faire approach to rules and structures then that’s you’re troublemaker. They generally are the ones with hearts of gold as well, which is why we put up with all their shenanigans.

6. The Sibling(s)

These are the friends out of the friend group that you are extremely close too, only in the way that siblings can be, but you get into the occasional argument with. Not detrimental arguments, but the petty stuff like what movie to watch, where to eat, etc. They are the pals you hang out with constantly and love on even more so.

7. The Grandparent

This is the friend out of the friend group that is always turning in early for the night or chooses not to go out at all. There’s nothing wrong with that either! They have some choice words for the solid advice they share. In essence, they’re an old soul that anchors your friend group down.

Even though, each person in your friend group may share a distinct personality with one of your literal family members it’s important to realize each of these friends care so much about you just like your own family would. It’s such a blessing to have two forms of a family. What’s even better is that these family roles your friend group takes on is all out of love, they chose to love you and create this friendship that’s home. Bonus, they’re all your age so even ‘the mom’ of the group has fun and is boogying next to you when you’re out on a Friday night. They’re you’re friends, but more importantly they’re your family. How lucky we all are!