Facebook Makes A Comeback

Facebook Makes A Comeback

How Facebook remains relevant for older people and college students

20
Facebook Makes A Comeback

In college, everyone uses their laptop to take notes, calls an Uber when the AC Transit fails (yet again), and downloads various apps for the food discounts offered around campus. While these are all relatively new things in the world of technology, one has stuck around for over ten years and has made its comeback in college. That is Facebook.

My relationship with Facebook began in the 6th grade, when my parents forced me to use a pseudonym. I now have my real name on Facebook, but I still get asked who Angelica Rose is because the name is still in my Facebook profile url. After middle school, Facebook kind of became something that was just there, but it barely existed since I never used it. Before college began, I hadn’t changed my profile picture in two years and was a loyal Instagram user. One of the biggest culture shocks I have experienced at Berkeley is hearing someone tell me, “Let me add you on Facebook!” Shortly after I began adding more people on Facebook, I realized people still use it for all sorts of things. They change their profile picture or cover photo for their club, sorority, or fundraiser. It is also a great way to learn about the different events happening around campus.

Because there are so many events on campus, I usually say I’m “interested” to remain updated on the different activities. These include free cupcakes on Sproul, Moffitt Library Opening, Presidential Debate Watch Party, Pumpkin Carving Contests, and even a Bread Club Meeting. I didn’t realize how many things I was interested in until my roommates confronted me. With that being said, Facebook is also making a comeback not just being more informative but also socially, as well. People tag their friends in photos, videos, and memes. In fact, Berkeley even has its own group called UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens, which mostly makes fun of Nicholas Dirks and his misuse of public funds.

While I still remain a loyal Instagrammer, I have come to respect the usefulness of Facebook. I no longer judge the person who once said, “Let me add you on Facebook!” because I am now that person. Along with UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens, here are some of the most essential Facebook groups to join at UC Berkeley:

1. Free & For Sale—Perfect for buying or selling anything from clothes to room decorations to baked goods.
  2. Overheard at UC Berkeley—This is by far one of the best sources of entertainment when walking to class or procrastinating on that midterm essay. It is a place where students share funny, stupid, and amusing things that are overheard from bits of conversation around campus.
  3. Course Advice—Great for receiving feedback about certain classes or professors from other people who have already had the professor or taken the class.
  4. UC Berkeley Textbooks—This can help save a ton of money by buying old textbooks from other students at a discounted price. It’s also another way to sell old textbooks and make some money.
  5. UC Berkeley Rideshare Group—Looking to visit a friend in SoCal? This Facebook group is a carpool program where students drive somewhere with one another to anywhere in California. This makes traveling faster and cheaper while meeting new people.