How to Embrace the Freshman 15

How to Embrace the Freshman 15

Go Get Yourself Another Bowl of Icecream

20
How to Embrace the Freshman 15
Googleimages

We all know about the infamous “freshman 15” that's said to come in your first year of college. What we don’t know is how to not add on those 15 or more pounds. Well, to be honest, I don’t know how to either. We all promise ourselves that we are going to workout, eat a salad at lunch, breakfast, and dinner...but let’s be honest here, we have done that maybe once or twice. So, here I will provide 5 ways on how to embrace the freshman 15.

1. Walk off those cookies!

It is totally acceptable to take home a to-go box of cookies from the cafeteria and have them hidden in your room so you and your roommate are the only ones that can eat them. It is equally acceptable to have a week’s worth of calories in one sitting. Don’t let anyone tell you that you need to stop embracing your inner lineman. If people see this as an issue, reassure them that you are always sure to pace yourself and that you walk the cookies off when you walk back to your dorm.

2. Go get a waffle at 4:30 in the afternoon.

When you get out of lab and need a snack and all that is open is the cafeteria right next to the building, GO GET YOURSELF A DANG WAFFLE! While being at college, I have convinced myself that waffles are nutritious for our bodies. How is that possible, you ask? I have no idea, but I tell myself that to make myself feel better.

3. Go in with a positive mentality.

You need to have a positive outlook on the sweet, beautiful, goodness in front of you. You won’t be able to finish your 3rd bowl of Ben and Jerry’s or BlueBell when you are telling yourself, “I need to stop eating this, it’s so unhealthy.” Instead say, “Wow! Look how far I’ve come. I know I can do better! 4th BOWL HERE I COME!”

4. Make sure you have balance.

Of course, you will eventually have to workout to make sure you lose all of the calories you intake. The freshman 15 requires a full body workout: lifting the utensil makes you move your arms, walking to get the completely unhealthy food item uses your legs, and if you’re really good, you might be able to figure out a way to include your core. Or if all else fails and working out simply isn’t your thing, then add some fruit to your ice cream…..thus taking you back to point #3. You must have a positive mentality when eating your choice of food. “Look at me adding fruit to this (fill in food choice here).”

5. Don’t tell your parents how awful your diet is.

Part of college is learning how to become more independent. If you tell your parents that you had 14 cookies after eating dinner, then they will text you every day the following week asking if you have had your daily fruits and vegetables. Or even better, they will ask you if you have broken your record on cookie intake—to which you reply with a respectful “no,” as you continue to shove yet another cookie in your mouth.

In addition to your parents, do not tell your friends when you are sick. They will deny you your rights to eat sweets of any kind! The point of the freshman 15 is to completely embrace your inner fat 4th grader and enjoy every second of it, no matter the circumstances. So, don’t let anyone get in your way! You do you! Take in the fact that you may not always be a freshman, but that you will more than likely carry the evidence of freshman year with you for the rest of your life. Long live the freshman 15!