8 Songs We Love But Can't Relate To | The Odyssey Online

8 Songs We Love But Can't Relate To

10/10 on the jam sesh. 0/10 on the feels.

438
8 Songs We Love But Can't Relate To
vice.com

Music can make us feel, bring back memories, and be relatable and real. On the other hand, there are some songs that we love even though we (and probably no one else) can't relate to them at all.

1. "Partition" by Beyonce

"Driver, roll up the partition fast, over there I swear I saw them cameras flash."

I can't say I have been followed by paparazzi recently and most likely never will be. Don't get me wrong, I love Queen B and this song but I just can't relate. It also doesn't help that no one can relate to Beyonce (because she's perfect, of course).

2. "That's What I Like" by Bruno Mars

"I'll rent a beach house in Miami, wake up with no jammies. Lobster tail for dinner, Julio serve that scampi." Ugh, don't we all wish we could rent a beach house in Miami with people to serve us and bring us drinks and food? Bruno Mars always has super catchy, great music, but I don't think I will ever live a lifestyle compared to this song.

3. "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus

"But here I am, next to you, the sky's more blue, in Malibu. Next to you, in Malibu." On the surface, this newly popular Miley Cyrus song is kind of relatable. You know, chilling with your guy on the beach and all is good. The kicker here is "Malibu." Malibu, California is known for being home to celebrities and is home to Miley's boyfriend Liam Hemsworth. The home they now live in together is worth a whopping $2.5 million. It's kind of difficult to relate to this song, now.

4. "Gold Digger" by Kayne West

"Cutie the bomb, met her at the beauty salon, With a baby Louis Vuitton under her underarm. She said, 'I can tell you rock, I can tell by your charm.'" Okay, to start, I don't remember the last time I saw a guy in my beauty salon. I think most guys run away from beauty salons and I definitely don't know a single guy who would willingly hang out in one. Kayne did marry Kim Kardashian so the Louis Vuitton reference makes sense, but let's be real here, no one can keep up with the Kardashians.

5. "Work B*tch" by Britney Spears

"You wanna live fancy? Live in a big mansion? Party in France? You better work b*tch." Sure, celebrities work for their money, put on shows, and are always surrounded by people. It can't be easy and I don't think I would want to be in the limelight, but most people would have to save their money from a really well-paying job for a long time if they wanted to live like a celebrity and party all over the world.

6. "80s Mercedes" by Maren Morris

"Turning every head, hell, I ain't even trying. Got them Ray-Ban shades, pretty in pink, call me old school but hey, I'm a 90s baby, in my 80s Mercedes." These lyrics just scream queen. Everyone is looking at her, wanting to be her, Ray-Bans, living like the girls in "Pretty in Pink." However, I am a 90s baby and I don't have any friends who drive an 80s Mercedes.

7. "Good Life" by OneRepublic

"To my friends in New York, I saw hello, My friends in L.A. they don't know where I've been the past few years or so, Paris to China to Colorado" I don't know about anyone else, but I wish I had friends from all over the world. Traveling near and far and making friends from all the time I have spent in other places? Now that would be the good life.

8. "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX

"I'm so fancy, can't you taste this gold? Remember my name, 'bout to blow-ow-ow" In this song, "fancy" refers to being untouchable. Iggy Azalea is on top of the world, remember her name and just accept that fact that no one can compete. This "queen" status is not very relatable to us non-celebs.

These eight songs are songs that I have played over and over again. I love them all and somewhat envy the perks of being a celeb that they verbalize. As much as I do love them, I just have to realize that there is no way I will ever relate to them in the way I can with other songs. These aren't songs that turn on the feels or make me think "wow, yeah I get that".